21 November 1813 and died 8 April 1884.
Son of: Samuel Marsh (1777-1854) and Catherine Marsh (1779-1849). Descendant of John Marsh of Marston in East Langden 1515?-1583
1. Henry Marsh (1808-1813).
2. Eleanor Pryor nee Marsh (1810-1872) who married Samuel Pryor (1808-1865).
3. Edward Marsh (1812-1884) who married Ellen Pryor (18??-1887).
4. Catherine Giles nee Marsh (1817-????) who married Robert Giles (1805-1867).
5. Jane Barringer nee Marsh (1819-1892) who married James Barringer (1810-1891).
6. Elizabeth Marsh (1821-1822).
7. Charlotte Wilson nee Marsh (1823-1859) who married John Wilson (1810-1892) of Bradford.
8. James Marsh (1815-1884) of Stanstead, Essex who married Ann Wilson (1818-1872).
Samuel married: Maria Marsh nee Bean 26 May 1842.
Samuel and Maria had issue:
1. Samuel Vincent Marsh (1843-1922?) who married Elizabeth Catherine Clark (1844-19??).
2. Arthur Charles Marsh (1844-19??) who married Francis Emma Beadle (1842-19??).
3. William Earnest Marsh (1847-19??) who married Kate Wallace daughter of Thomas W Wallis of Louth, Lincolnshire. 24 July 1877.
Samuel Marsh: An Overview
We know of Samuel
from his son's recordings of the Marsh Family History and the
'History of the Ancient Family of Marsh of Marton . . . by Joseph J Green Archivist Genealogist, 1903. Revised to date by William Ernest Marsh 1912.'
In the above he is noted as follows:
Samuel Marsh (F&C) was the 4th child and 3rd son of Samuel Marsh of London and Stratford, by Catherine Marsh his wife, and first cousin. He was born 21st November 1813, at 54 Mansell Street, London (vide p.324). After finishing his education at the Friends Public School at Ackworth, Yorkshire (1824-6) he was apprenticed to Joseph Shewell of depford, Linen Draper, (later of Colchester) a well known Quaker Minister. He, however, when out of his apprenticeship, circa 1833, went to the old established umbrella manufacturing business, then carried on by his twin brothers Samuel and Henry Pryor, at 43 Holborn Hill, the former of whom had recently married his eldest sister Eleanor Marsh. He travelled for the firm and when in London, resided with his brother-in-law Samuel Pryor at Cumming Street, Pentonville, till his marriage. He was married 26th May 1842 at the church of St Martin-le-Grand, York, by the Rev WG Wilkinson, Rector of Ellerton, to Maria Bean, 5th daughter of William Bean of York, by Sarah Sugden, his second wife, daughter of John Sugden of Howden, Yorks.
By this marriage with a non-Member, he forfeited his Membership of the Society of Friends under their stringent, and now happily obsolete rules. They went to reside at the business house, 43 Holborn Hill, and there all their children were born. In 1850 Samuel Marsh accepted an offer from Mr John Cheek to join him in his fishing tackle business in Oxford Street, and went with his family to reside there, when Mr George Manners took his place as traveller for the Pryors. The venture, however, did not prove fortuitous, and after the death of Henry Pryor, in 1851, Samuel Marsh returned to his brother-in-law, and eventually on retirement of the latter in the early sixties, succeeded to the business in partnership with Mr George Manners FSA FRGS FLS CC etc, under the style of 'Marsh & Manners'. In 1965 the business was transferred to 160 Felet Street, as the old premises were required for the Holborn Valley Improvements, which included the construction of the Holborn Viaduct. On the site of No 43 Holborn Hill, and other houses now stands the palatial building constructed for Charles Meeking & Co, the well-known Drapers (now known as Thomas Wallis & Co Ltd).
After leaving Oxford Street Samuel Marsh resided with his family at The Grove, Hammersmith (1852-1867), and finally at Lancaster Road, Lower (now West) Norwood, till his death. He was a Freeman of the City of London.
The full title of the Marsh Family History book is:
'History of the Ancient Family of Marsh of Marton, in East Langdon, near Dover, also of Dover and Canterbury, of Brandred in Acrise, of Denton, of Old Court in Nonington, of Nethersole in Wymlyngswold, and of Kingstone, of Faversham, Snave, Ivychurch, London, Eastbury County Hertford, of Bath, Ryde, Windsor, Picklington, County York etc etc. Circa 1320-1903. And in particular that branch of the family settled at Folkestone. With an account of descendants resident at Hitchin, Guildford, Dorking, London, Chatham, Epping, Gaynes Park, Ashford, Bow, Kingston, Luton, Belfast, Bromley etc etc. 1520-1903. Together with references to a large number of families and individuals bearing the name Marsh. Complied from original and other sources by Joseph J Green Archivist Genealogist, 1903. Revised to date by William Ernest Marsh 1912.'
This book appears to have been a one off production typed up on a type writer and probably never fully published. It is an extensive work and runs to 411 pages documenting a very large number of people sharing the name Marsh. Luckily copies have been made over the years and passed around the Marsh family. In addition a large family tree turned up at auction in 2013 and appears to have been the work of William Ernest Marsh in that his name is towards the bottom together with the names of his children. In addition Earnest has also listed his brothers Samuel Vincent Marsh (London and Walthamstow) and Arthur Charles Marsh (Tottenham). Also their cousins William Marsh, Thomas Henry Marsh, Catherine Marsh and Elizabeth Ann Tebbutt (Winchester). This tree may have been owned later by Peter Russell Marsh Birkin-Tebbutt (born 1931) who was presumably a grandson. This family tree document is now for sale (contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more details). The frame measures 85cm x 67 cm.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact me on email@example.com