Portrait of Nathaniel Ryder, 1st Baron
Nathaniel Ryder, 1st Baron Harrowby, wearing blue coat and waistcoat, white stock and lace cravat, his powdered wig worn en queue and tied with a black ribbon bow. Enamel, signed on the obverse with initials and dated GS/ 17?8, gold frame with border of paste rubies, the reverse engraved Nathaniel Ryder/ 1st Lord Harrowby. Oval, 30mm (1 3/16in) high. Nathaniel Ryder was MP for Tiverton (Whig) 1756-1776. He was the son of Sir Dudley Ryder (1691-1756), Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench and Ann Newnham (d.1774). On the 20th May 1776 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Harrowby, of Harrowby in Lincolnshire. He later served as the Deputy Lieutenant of Staffordshire and Lincolnshire. Lord Harrowby married Elizabeth Terrick (d.1804), daughter of the Rt Rev Richard Terrick, Bishop of London, in 1762. Of their five children, their second son the Hon. Richard Ryder (1766-1832) became a successful politician and served as Home Secretary between 1809 and 1812 while their youngest son, the Hon. Henry Ryder (1777-1836) became Bishop of Gloucester and Bishop of Lichfield. Lord Harrowby is commemorated in St Wulframs Church in Grantham.
Provenance: Sotheby's, 26
November 1942, lot 120, sold to S.H.R. Harris for £15.