Frances Marsh nee Graham
Born: in Bengal (Bangladesh) 15 June 1770 and died young 5 April 1805. Buried in Gillingham, Kent.
Daughter of: John Graham Esq (1741-1775) and Mary Graham nee Shewen (1737?-1798).
1. William Graham (born 13 January 1774 in Calcutta).
2. Col George Edward Graham (later Foster Pigott, born 1774 or 1771, died 1831) who married Mary Foster (died 1858).
3. Mary Helen Lady Dashwood (1763-1796) who married Sir Henry Watkin Dashwood, 3rd Bart, of Kettlington, Oxon.
4. Another brother (alive in 1794)
Frances married : William Marsh (1755-1846), 15th November 1794. She was his second wife. William was the son of George Marsh (1722-1800) and Ann Marsh (nee Long, 1720-1784).
Frances and William had issue :
1. Frances Mary Marsh (14 August 1797 - 2 May 1818).
2. William Marsh (18 October 1795 - 10 September 1824) who died on the day the bank crashed. Surprisingly he died of natural causes and it would appear completely unconnected with the fall of the bank.
3. Mary Marsh (1798-1839). Born 9 December 1798 and died 6 March 1839. Buried 14 March at St Mary Magdalene, Gillingham, Kent.
4. Georgiana Nelson Marsh (1801-1861). Born 7 January 1801 and died 24th March 1861.
Frances Marsh nee Graham: An Overview
We know of Francis from the following sources:
1. Her miniature
2. A mention in the diary of Eliza Louisa Marsh-Caldwell (1818-1913).
3. Her memorial in the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Gillingham, Kent.
4. A mention in he diary of her father in law George Marsh.
5. The Graham family website (http://www.inchbrakie.com).
The entry in George Marsh's diary for Saturday,
15th November 1794, regarding their wedding is as follows:
The entry in the diary of Eliza Louisa Marsh-Caldwell reads as follows:
Francis is buried in the the Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Gillingham, Kent, together with her husband, her children and many other members of the Marsh family.
Three portraits of Frances's neice Georgiana Carolina Lady Hastings are listed in the book 'Portraits in Norfolk Houses' by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh, undated but published around 1927-1928. Vol II, page 9 & 10. Painted by H W Pickersgill around 1835 and a miniature by R Saunders. Georgiana Carolina, second daughter of Sir Henry Watkin Dashwood, 3rd Bart., by Mary Helen his wife, daughter of John Graham of Kinross, N.B., and the Supreme Court, Calcutta; married 9th March 1829, Sir Jacob Astley, 6th Bart., afterwards 16th Lord Hastings. She died 28 June 1835. Georgiana had children, her heir being Jacob Henry Delaval Astley 17th Lord Hastings.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
(Home) (Miniature Francis) (Miniatures of Francis and Amelia) (Memorial Tablet)