George Morrison Marsh
Born: around 1824 and died
September 7th 1895 aged 71. Buried at Bangor.
Son of: George Augustus Eliott Marsh MA (1790-1867) and Julia Murdock (1792?-1854).
1. John Murdoch Wilmot Marsh (1819-1848) of Jesus College Cambridge.
2. Maj Augustus Leacock Marsh (1823-1876) who married Susan Agnes Scott.
3. Charles Smith Marsh (1823?-1845). Buried on the Island of Madeira.
George married: at Bangor, 18th March 1851, Harriot Watson (1828?-1904), eldest daughter of William Henry Watson Esq of Lowe Hall.
George and Harriot had issue:
1. Frederick William Marsh (1858?-1879). Died May 21st 1879 aged 21.
2. Milly Edwards-Jones nee Marsh (1864?-1940) who married Samuel Edwards-Jones (1871-1935).
George Morrison Marsh: An Overview
We know about George from the following:
1. "History of the Ancient Family of Marsh" by Joseph J. Green, Archivist and Genealogist, 1903, revised to date by Wm. Ernest Marsh, of Marston, Bromley, Kent, 1912. Page 248.
2. In the Church at Bangor-on-Dee Parish there are a number of memorials to various Marsh family members.
"History of the Ancient Family of Marsh" by Joseph J. Green reads as follows:
George Augustus Eliott Marsh MA, Rector of Bangor Iscoed Monachorum, with Overton, near Wrexham, 2nd son of John Marsh, Commissioner of the Victualling Board, etc, born circa 1790. He was educated at Christ Church, Cambridge, BA 1815, MA 1818, Rector of Bangor with Overton, 1835. He married 19th August 1818, at Marylebone Church, London, Julia, 2nd daughter of Thomas Murdoch Esq, of Portland Place and had issue:
1. Wilmot Marsh eldest son, born 14th June 1819, at Brompton, died at Bangor Rectory, Flintshire, 4th August 1848, aged 29.
2. George Morrison Marsh, born at Brompton 17th May 1821, late of 23rd Royal Welsh Fusilliers. Married at Bangor 18th March, 1851, Harriot Watson, eldest daughter of late William Henry Watson Esq of Lowe Hall, and had issue.
3. Augustus Leacock Marsh, late Major 55th Regiment. Born at Brompton, April 1823. Married at Lucan 20th October 1864 Susan Agnes Scott, daughter of the late General Sir Hopton Stratford Scott KCB and Lady Scott, of Woodville, Lucan, County, Dublin. Maj AL Marsh died 8th March, 1876, at South Yeo, North Devon, having had issue 4 sons and 2 daughters of whom the elder Julia Augusta Marsh married at Wiesbaden, Germany, 25th January 1894 Frederick Herman Feist.
Marsh Family memorial stones / graves at Bangor-on-Dee Parish Church
(Information provided by Julia McCreath)
There are a number of memorials at Bangor-on-Dee because G.A.E.Marsh was Rector of Bangor from 1835 - 1867. He was obviously a much loved Rector as there is a large stained glass window behind the altar and two fine chairs on other side of the altar all dedicated to his memory and bought with money raised by his parishioners after his death.
Memorials (in church)
Lucy Marsh (mother of G.A.E.Marsh). Relict of John Marsh, formerly Chairman of the Victualling Board, Somerset Place, London, Esq. and daughter of George Gostling of Whitton Park in the County of Middlesex, Esq. Died in February 1845 aged 87.
Reverend George Augustus Eliott Marsh. Formerly Minister of St Mary's Chapel Park Street Hanover Square London. Private chaplain to The Right Hon. The Earl of Huntingdon and for 32 years the much loved and greatly respected rector of this parish. Died September 18th 1867 aged77
Julia. Wife of above. 2nd daughter of Thomas Murdoch of Portland Place London. Died April 1854 aged 62
John Murdoch Wilmot Marsh. Eldest son of above (George and Julia). Of Jesus College Cambridge. Died August 4th 1848 aged 29
Charles Smith Marsh. Son of above (George and Julia). Died May 16th 1854 aged 31. Buried on Island of Madeira.
Gravestones (outside church)
Captain George M. Marsh. 4th son of above (George and Julia). Late of 23rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died September 7th 1895 aged 71.
Harriot. Wife of Captain George M. Marsh. Died December 27th 1904 aged 76
Frederick William Marsh. Son of George and Harriot. Died May 21st 1879 aged 21
Milly Edwards-Jones. Daughter of George and Harriot. Died September 30th 1940 aged 76.
Samuel Edwards-Jones. Husband of Milly. LRCS LRCP. Freeman of Wrexham. JP. Born April 10th 1871. Died March 8th 1935.
Mildred Edwards-Jones. Daughter of Milly and Samuel. Lived February - December 12th 1906
Henry George Eliott Edwards-Jones. Son of Milly and Samuel. Died November 28th 1939 aged 43. [Known as George. Kings Shropshire Light Infantry]
Phyllis Maud Edwards-Jones. Wife of Henry. Born March 1899. Died July 1973.
If anyone would like to write up an expanded biography and email it
to me, please do.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
(Home) (Portrait photo) (Portrait engraving)