Lucy Marsh nee Gosling (Gostling)
Born: 4 June 1759 and died at
Bangor Rectory 26 February 1845 aged 87.
Daughter of: George Gostling of Whitton Park in the County of Middlesex, Esq.
Sister of: not known.
Married: John Marsh (1747-1823) son of Milbourne Marsh.1709?-1778.
Lucy and John had issue:
1. John Milbourne Marsh (1787-1826).
2. George Augustus Eliott Marsh MA (1790-1867) who married Julia Murdock (1792?-1854).
3. Lady Eliza Downman (1799-18??) who married Sir Thomas Downman.
Lucy Marsh: An Overview
We know about Lucy from the following sources:
1. "History of the Ancient Family of Marsh" by Joseph J. Green, Archivist and Genealogist, 1903, revised to date by Wm. Ernest Marsh, of Marston, Bromley, Kent, 1912. Her name is spelt Gosling.
2. Her portrait which was sold by Sothebeys 6 March 2008.
3. Her memorial stone in the Church at Bangor-on-Dee. Her name is spelt Gostling.
4. Entries copied from the Bible of Rev George Augustus Eliott Marsh.
"History of the Ancient Family of Marsh" notes the following:
Lucy Marsh (nee Gosling) died at Bangor Rectory 26 February 1845 aged 86.
A portrait of Lucy Marsh nee Gosling was sold at Sothebys 6 March 2008. It was described with the provenance by descent to the sitter's son, the Rev. Augustus Marsh; Thence by descent to Colonel H.E. Marsh, his grandson.
There is a memorial to in the church at Bangor with the following inscription:
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact
me on email@example.com
(Home) (Portrait of Lucy Marsh)