Hannah Stamford (nee Crompton)
January 1720 at Chorley and died June 1788.
Daughter of: John Crompton (1690-1750) and Hannah Mather (1701-1723).
Sister of :
1. Abraham Crompton (1720-?).
2. John Crompton (1722-1780?) who married Catherine Wharton.
3. Joseph Crompton (1723?-?).
Half sister of:
4. Margret Crompton (1732-?).
5. Samuel Crompton (1734-?).
6. Mary Crompton (1737-?).
7. Rebecca Crompton (1739-?). Who lived with a Mr Cope according to Ann Marsh-Caldwell's diary.
8. Deborah Crompton (?-?).
9. Edward Crompton (1743-?) who married Ann Bury.
Hannah married: Thomas Stamford (1712-1787), son of John Stamford or Thomas Stamford (the elder).
Hannah and Thomas had issue:
1. Hannah Stamford (1753-1832) who never married.
2. Elizabeth Caldwell (nee Stamford, 1754-1831) who married James Caldwell.
Hannah Stamford (nee Crompton): An Overview
We know of Hannah from the following sources of information:
1. Burke's Peerage gives an overview of the Caldwell
family and the Crompton family. Under the Caldwell section, it
states that Elizabeth Caldwell's parents were Thomas Stamford and
Hannah Stamford (nee Crompton). Hannah's father was a John
Crompton of Chorley Hall, Lancaster, which property was aquired by
that branch of the family soon after the rebellion in 1715.
Hannah was a decendent of the Rev John Crompton MA born in 1641 and
cousin of Samuel Crompton of Derby, Esq, and a cousin of Henry Cope
of Duffield, Esq,: a share of whose personel estate came to Hannah's
daughter Elizabeth Caldwell (nee Stamford).
2. Information supplied to me by Sheila Howells who has researched this from many sources including the Crompton Papers in the Derby Local History Library.
3. An Almanack from 1747 owned by Hannah and listing many of her relatives and acquaintances.
We know very little about Hannah except for a lot of details on who her relatives were. If anyone out on the internet can bring any more information about her I would be very keen to hear from you.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact
me on firstname.lastname@example.org