George Cuthbert MD 1706?-1772
Physician to the Portsmouth Garrison
Born: 1706? and died 3rd June 1772 aged 66. Memorial in Portsmouth Cathedral.
Son of: John Cuthbert (1675?-1724) and Dorothy Cuthbert nee Spearman.
1. William Cuthbert (1691?-1746), Recorder of Newcastle upon Tyne. He married 1st Jane Stephenson and 2nd Dorothy Robinson.
2. Richard Cuthbert AM (1696?-1744), Vicar of Penvith (Penwith, Kendal). He married Dorothy (or Margaret?) (1715?-1767?) the daughter of Christopher Mickleton of Durham.
3. Margaret Cuthbert who married James Nelson of London.
4. Possibly others?
George married: Ann Jones (1715?-1784) daughter of Anna Jones nee Holford and the Rev Evan Jones, Vicar of Portsea.
George and Ann had issue:
1. Rev George Cuthbert MA (1749-1826) who married Ann (1762?-1835) .
2. Dorothy Carter nee Cuthbert (1750-1814) who married Sir John Carter (17??-1808) Mayor of Portsmouth. Their son was John Bonham Carter (1788-1838).
We know about George Cuthbert from the following sources:
1. In the Portsmouth Record Office there is a document PCRO X/11A/P/4/5 which is the Carter Pedigrees by AT Everitt. The Cuthbert pages are at p33 and 34 and give the full overview of the family of 'Cuthbert of West Herrington & Portsmouth'.
2. A memorial to George is in Portsmouth Cathedral.
George's memorial in Portsmouth Cathedral reads as follows:
UNDERNEATH ARE DEPOSITED THE REMAINS OF GEORGE CUTHBERT M.D.
YOUNGEST SON OF JOHN CUTHBERT ESQ. OF WEST HERRINGTON, DURHAM, SERGEANT AT LAW AND RECORDER OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE.
HE WAS PHYSICIAN TO THIS GARRISON AND DIED 3RD JUNE 1772 AGED 66.
ALSO OF ANN HIS WIDOW, THE DAUGHTER OF THE REVD. EVAN JONES, VICAR OF PORTSEA, AND ANNA HIS WIFE THE RELICT OF RICHARD HOLFORD. ESQ.
SHE DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 23RD OF AUGUST 1784 AGED 69.
LIKEWISE OF THEIR ONLY SON, GEORGE CUTHBERT A.M. CHAPLAIN TO HIS MAJESTY KING GEORGE IV,
PREBENDARY AND SUB-DEAN OF YORK, RECTOR OF SHAW CUM DONNINGTON, BERKS. AND AN ALDERMAN OF THIS BOROUGH.
HE DIED JANUARY 28TH 1826 AGED 77
ALSO OF ANN HIS WIDOW. SHE DIED ON THE 27TH DAY OF AUGUST
If anyone can supply any more information, please do contact me.