Notes on the family of Rev Thomas Barnard
The Rev. Thomas BARNARD, Vicar of Great Amwell, Hertfordshire; of St. John's College, Cambridge, admitted Sizar 27th December 1782, B.A. 1787, M.A. 1791; Vicar of Great Hormead, Hertfordshire, 9th July 1790, and of Great Amwell 21st August 1793; died 14th June 1799. Will dated 8th August 1798, proved 13th December 1799 (P.C.C. 824 Howe)
Everilda Dorothea MARTIN, daughter of Sir Mordaunt MARTIN of Burnham Westgate Hall, Norfolk, 4th Baronet, by Everilda Dorothea his wife, daughter of the Rev. William SMITH, Rector of Burnham; married in December 1792; executrix to her husband's will 13th December 1799; died aged 72, 27th November 1839.
Their five sons were:
1. Thomas Mordaunt Roger BARNARD, born 12th December 1794, baptised 17th December 1794 Sifford, Essex, educated at Charterhouse, RN midshipman, died 27th June 1813 onboard HMS Kite of wounds received in action with pirates.
2. Rev. Mordaunt BARNARD. Adm. pens. (age 18) at Christ's February 2nd, 1813. Born 1795, at Litcham, Norfolk. School, Charterhouse. Matric. Michs. 1813; Tancred Student, 1813; Scholar, 1814; B.A. 1817; M.A. 1833. Ord. deacon (London) December 20th, 1818; priest (Peterb., Litt.dim. from York) April 8th, 1820; P.C. of Barnoldswick, Yorks., 1820-40. Vicar of Great Amwell Herts., 1826-64. Vicar of Rydge, Herts., 1832. rector of Little Bardfield, Essex, 1845-64. Rector of Preston Bagot, Warws., 1867-75. Rural Dean. J.P. for Essex. Removed to Brighton. Of 11, Brunswick Square in 1866. Surrogate. Married (1) Margaret L.M., daughter of Major BOLTON, April 15th, 1821; (2) Adelaide S., daughter of Charles J. BARNARD, Rector of Bigby, Lincs., September 11th 1866. Author, The Education of the Christian Minister, etc. Died October 29th, 1885, at St. Leonards-on-Sea. Buried in Ore Cemetery, Sussex. Father of Mordaunt Roger BARNARD and Percy Mordaunt BARNARD.
3. John BARNARD, joined the Indian Army and died young.
4. William Smith BARNARD born 17th April 1798 Litcham, Norfolk. Unsure about who he married but his son was Thomas Mordaunt Roger BARNARD born in 1829, educated Exeter College, Oxfod.
5. George BARNARD. A clerk in the Exchequer, lived in London, died in Nice.
(Home) (Diary of Elizabeth Jones) (Elizabeth Jones)