Skip to main content

Catherine Louisa Caldwell 1794-1814

(known as Louisa)

Born: 6 June 1794 presumably at Newcastle under Lyme and died 20 August 1814 at Linley Wood.
Daughter of: James Caldwell (1759-1838) and Elizabeth Caldwell (nee Stamford, 1754-1831).
Sister of:
1. Hannah Eliza Roscoe (nee Caldwell, 1785-1854) who married Willam Stanley Roscoe (1782-1843).
2. James Stamford Caldwell (1786-1858).
3. Mary Caldwell (1789-1813).
4. Anne Marsh Caldwell (1791-1874) who married Arthur Cuthbert Marsh (1786-1849).

5. Margaret Emma Holland (nee Caldwell, 1792-1830) who married Sir Henry Holland (1788-1873). 
6. Frances Caldwell, died 14 February 1801 aged 5.

Catherine died young and did not marry.

We know of Catherine from:

1. Her diary.
2. Her father's diary .
3. Her sister Anne Marsh Caldwell's diary.
4. Some gold memorial jewellery.

We know about Catherine Louisa Caldwell from her father's diary.  The entries relating to her final days reads as follows:


Thursday 4  At Home.  Dr Darwin.  Encouraging hopes of my dear Dear girl: but harassed, depressed, miserable!! Exhausted in Spirits from the hurry of the several preceding days, and the dread of the Affliction which seemed to await us.


Friday 5  At Newcastle.  To learn if any thing had passed relative to the expected vacancy for the Borough.  But obtained no intelligence.  2.  Canal


Saturday 6.  At Newcastle again.  Attending the Mayor &c and meeting the Bishop of Lichfield & Coventry at breakfast, at the Roebuck where he was entertained by the Corporation & this being a Confirmation.  Returned to dinner.  Louisa still very ill.


Sunday 7.  At home.


Monday 8.  Louisa considerably better.  Saw my dear Girl:  but observed a deep suffusion upon the cheek from which I could not but feel much alarm


Tuesday 9.  Home.  Louisa worse.  Sent again for Dr Darwin.


Wednesday 10.  Louisa much worse.  Called in Dr Northen.  Dr Darwin also came.


Thursday 11  At about half past one this morning went to my beloved Girl who had called for her Papa.  Found her in high delirium.  Better if I could forever erase from Memory every trace of the heartbreaking scene that followed.  Dr.N. again at 8, at 1 o’clock bled her in the arm.


Friday 12.  Dr Northen.  Sent again to Dr. Darwin. 


Saturday 13  Dr Darwin again & Dr Northen. Consultation. Pronounced that effusion on the brain had taken place: and there was as yet no Symptom that might not be recovered from.  Dr. Darwin left her late in going to bed, in as comfortable a way as could be expected.


Page 39, August, 1814.


Sunday 14. [Begin?] to indulge some hope.  The morning came, when I found that Dr Darwin had been twice asked to her.  That he had once thought life had fled, as the pulse had for a few seconds absolutely stopped.  Administered Laudanum & Sal Volatile which had the wonderful effect of [relieving?] her.  3  drops of Laudanum 12 of Sal. Vol.  When I met him in the morning told me he had no comfort for me.  Left us about 9.  [Ading?] 3 drops of Laudanum & 5 of Sal. Vol to be administered every 3 hours.  She continued to revive through the day.


Monday 15.  Dr Northen. At [sic] 1 o’Clock rather better.


Tuesday 16.  Dr Northen at 8 in the morning.  Some pain the bowels. 


Wednesday 17.  Dr Northen again at 8. Sent again for Dr Darwin – Dr Northen again at 11 at night


Thursday 18.  Dr. Darwin arrived in the afternoon & also Dr Northen about 4.  Consultation.  Danger from the Bowels had greatly abated.  She had called for & drunk Porter, which seemed to afford her great support.


Friday 19.  Dr Darwin who had staid all night gave us this morning encouraging hopes.  And left us about 10 o’Clock.  Indulged for the first time the dear delightful expectation that our beloved Child would be again returned to us, and felt sensations through this day that can never be expressed.  Dr Northen came in the afternoon – dined – and allowed us to continue in hope: but said he was anxious to see the Tongue clearer, in which case he could speak boldly.  Went to bed and slept with some degree of comparative comfort.  On getting up in the morning I found that about 6 o Clock material change had taken place for the worse. Dr. Northen immediately sent for who arrived betimes P d q.  But all hope gone.  A faintness had come on, [ending?] as it would seem from a complete exhaustion of the powers of nature and about 10 o’Clock expired, as I understand (for I was not as in a former Case, present) without a struggle and almost imperceptibly, she who


[There is a bank space left here.  James possibly intended to write some more later?]


Page 40, August, 1814.


Death had made such speedy ravage that my fond & anxious wish to have obtained some sketch however imperfect of my beloved Girl proved vain, & the attempt was obliged to be abandoned. 

But, though no Artists hand assayed to trace

Some dear, though faint resemblance of thy face,

Memory, to fond Affection ever true,

Recalls each lovely feature fresh to view

And tells – though every charm and grace combin’d

Beauty, Portrait of thy Mind



Sunday 21


Monday 22


Tuesday 23


Wednesday 24  Mr Sherratt came from Nantwich


Thursday 25


Friday 26.  About 12 o Clock again left Linley Wood, with the remains of my beloved and heart dear Louisa, which I saw deposited by the side of my never to be forgotten Mary, and my little Fanny.  Oh!  What does not that Grave contain!


Mr. Jos. Wedgwood
Mr  Tollet
Mr C. Lawton
Mr Sparrow
Mr Bent
Mr Wood


If you have any more information please do contact me.