John Gilbert Crompton
1819 in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, christened 29 December 1819 in
Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Died 29 November 1913.
Son of: Gilbert Crompton (1786-1844) and Deborah Catherine Bosley (????-1879).
Brother of :
1. Deborah Sarah Bromehead (nee Crompton, 1818-1897) who married Rev Alexander Crawford Bromehead (????-1875).
2. Mary Anne Crompton (1821-????).
3. George Crompton (1823-1897) who married Catherine Mee.
4. Eliza Georgiana Crompton (1827-????).
5. Sarah Crompton (1828-????).
6. Elizabeth Crompton (1831-????).
7. Charles William Crompton (1832-????).
John married: 1st in Bakewell, in 1852, Millicent Ursula Smedley (18??-1859), 2nd in St James, London, 21 September 1865, Caroline Georgiana Chaplin (????-1914).
John and Millicent had issue:
1. Isabelle Emma Arkwright (nee Crompton, 1854?-1939) who married Charles Evelyn Arkwright (1848-1931).
John and Caroline had issue:
2. John Gilbert Frederick Crompton (1869-1919).
3. Millicent Evelyn Cecilia G Inglefield (nee Crompton, 1866?-1950) who married Adm Frederick Samuel Inglefield (1854-1921).
John Gilbert Crompton: An Overview
My knowledge of John Gilbert Crompton comes from information supplied to me by Sheila Howells who has researched this from many sources including the Crompton Papers in the Derby Local History Library.
John is mentioned in the book "Stanton and Staveley-A Business History".
He and his brother George became partners in the ownership of the
Stanton Ironworks in 1855 and were involved in the business for the
rest of their lives.
If anybody would like to type up a biography for me I would be very pleased to hear from you.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact