Capt James William Cuthbert
Born: 8 December 1805, died at Cannes, 6 May 1874.
Son of: James Ramsey Cuthbert (1776-1821) and Sophia Cuthbert (1777?-1857).
1. Richard Brand Cuthbert (born 18 Dec 1798 and died 13 March 1806).
2. Frederic John Cuthbert (born about 1802 as he died 4 July 1850 aged 48).
3. Sophia Rous nee Cuthbert (died 19 Jun 1877) who married Capt (later Adm) the Hon Henry John Rous RN MP (1795-1877).
James married: married, 15 December 1829, Jane Anne North (died 14 September 1881), eldest daughter of Thomas North, 2nd Lord Graves.
James and Jane do not appear to have had any children?
Anne Graves was related to Cyril Edward Cuthbert Hare Graves (1860-1946) who married Constance Katherine Mouflet in 1916.
James William Cuthbert: An Overview
We know of the existance of James William Cuthbert from:
1. His memorial in the church of "St Martin of Tours with St Stephens on the Downs", located in Epsom, Surrey.
2. His entry in the Epsom Parish Register of Burials.
3. His bookplate.
4. Information on the Graves family history website www.gravesfa.org/indexl
5. His portrait sold by Bonhams 13 January 2009.
We know of the existence of James from his memorial stone inside the church of "St Martin of Tours with St Stephens on the Downs", located in Epsom, Surrey. There is also a memorial to his parents and grandparents.
In Memoriam James William Cuthbert, born December 8th 1805, died May 6th 1874.
The following entry is in the Epsom Parish Register of Burials:
28 May 1874 James William Cuthbert of 14 Grosvenor St, Midd, and Cannes, France aged 69 (Vault under Church).
21 Sep 1881 The Hon Jane Ann Cuthbert, 14 Grosvenor St, London, aged 75
James possibly lived in the following places:
Grosvenor Square, London.
Ednam in the county of Roxburghshire.
Hanworth Park in the county of Middlesex.
Dumbarton Manor, Isle of Thanet.
Noted on the back of his portrait; James W Cuthbert 2nd Life Guards and equerry to HRH the Duke of Cambridge.
A family note
JamesWilliam Cuthbert. Born 8 Dec 1805. Married 15 Dec 1829 at St George's, Hanover Square, Jane Anne, eldest daughter of Thomas North, 2nd Lord Graves. Educated at RM College, Sandhurst. Capt 2nd Life Guards. DL for Co Kent. Equerry to HRH Duke of Cambridge. Died at Cannes 6 May 1874. Buried at St Pauls Church, Cannes.