Born: 1688 in Inverness. Probably
still alive in the 1720s.
Son of: George mac Sheorais Cuthbert (1635?-1720ish?) and Magdalen Cuthbert nee Fraser.
1. Mary Davidson nee Cuthbert (1675?-17??) who married David Davison.
2. Beatrix Rose nee Cuthbert (1680?-17??) who married Hugh Rose.
John married:around 1699?, Jean Cuthbert nee Hay (1675?-17??, alive in 1755) of Dalkethy (Dalgaty). Jean was the daughter of the Right Rev. William Hay (1647-1707), Bishop of Moray, and Mary Hay nee Wemyss.
John and Jean had issue:
1. George Cuthbert (1700?-1748) who married Mary McIntosh, only daughter of James Mackintosh, collector of customs at Inverness. Probably in 1724.
2. Alexander Cuthbert (1702-????).
3. Abbe Alexander Cuthbert/Colbert (1708?-1782?).
4. Maj. Gen. Lachlan Cuthbert (1710-????) who married Mary Margaret Hartford of Sufton. Lachan became a Major General in the French army.
5. Jean Cuthbert (1711-????).
6. Dr. James Cuthbert (1716-????) James immigated to the USA and married 1st Patience Hamilton, 2nd Mary Hazzard.
may be a cousin of John Cuthbert (1675-1724) of Herrington,
Did John have any relations by the name of Hopkins?
Did John's family have any connection with the parents or grandparents of Arthur Cuthbert (1734?-1788)?
John Cuthbert: An Overview
about John Cuthbet from the following sources:
1. Information from Richard Brown and Heather Sharpe listed on their excellent family history website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/index#Introduction
2. 'The Cuthberts, Barons of Castle Hill and Their Descendants in South Carolina and Georgia', by Dr. J.G.B. Bulloch, MD, Washington, DC, April 1908.
We know very little about John Cuthbert except that he lived at Casltehill, Inverness. Did he die before his father died?
In Inverness at this time there were quite a few people with the family name of Cuthbert and so it is difficult to be certain how everyone was linked.
There are in existence some portraits that may be of John and Jean Cuthbert .