Mary Duval (nee Marsh)
(Sometimes spelt Deval)
Born: 5 October 1712 and died 20 January 1800.
Eldest daughter of: George Marsh (1683-17??) and Elizabeth Marsh (nee Milbourne, 1687-17??).
1. Francis Marsh (1708-17??), Army Officer, died unmarried.
2. Milbourne Marsh (1709-1779), who married ?
3. George Marsh (1714-171?) who died an infant.
4. Daniel Marsh (1716-17??) Naval Officer or a Shipwright who possibly died in 1740 in an accident at work.
5. John Marsh (1718-17??).
6. Isaac Marsh (1720-17??), Naval Officer.
7. George Marsh (1722-1800) who married Ann Long.
8. Eliza Marsh (1724-17??) who died unmarried.
Mary married: 15 January 1737 in Popla, London, John Duval.
Mary had issue:
1. Margaret (or possibly Elizabeth) Morrison (nee Duval, 1742-????) who married James Morrison (1738?-1803).
Mary Duval (nee Marsh): An Overview
We know of Mary from the following sources:
1. "History of the Ancient Family of Marsh" by Joseph J. Green, Archivist and Genealogist, 1903, revised to date by Wm. Ernest Marsh, of Marston, Bromley, Kent, 1912. This records Elizabeth marrying James Morrison.
2. Morman records from Parish records, note Margaret Duval marrying James Morrison at Spitalfields, Christ Church, Stepney, London, 21 April 1768.
3. The diary of her brother George Marsh (1722-1800).
John Duval was a baker in Spital fields. His will was proved 31 December 1758 and was also signed by George Marsh and James Crisp. It is in the Public Record Office, Kew.
An entry in George Marsh's diary for 20th January 1800 reads:
My dear sister Mary Duval died at my house at Blackheath in the 88th year of her age. Note she came down with me from London on a visit the 23 inst and was as well as any person could be and looked as well as any one of her age could do.