Born: 1699 (or 1702) and died 1750
(according to what is written on his portrait).
Son of: John Harvey (1666-1742) and his first wife Ann Statham (1668?-1706?).
1. William Harvey (1694-????).
2. Robert Harvey (1697-1773) who married Lydia Harvey nee Black (1699-1759)
3. Anne Harvey (1699-????).
4. Elizabeth Kirkpatrick (nee Harvey, 1700?-1765) who married Thomas Kirkpatrick.
5. William Harvey (1704-????).
6. Mary Smyth (nee Harvey, 1705-????) who married John Smythe.
Half brother of:
8. Peter Harvey (1709-1751) who married Elizabeth Blyford (1718?-1741).
9. Thomas Harvey (1711-1772) who married Lydia Ives (1718-1805).
10. Samuel Harvey (1712-????) who married Mary (1711-1739).
John married: Margaret Hunt, daughter of John Hunt Esq of Worlington, Norfolk.
John and Margaret had issue: Not known.
John Harvey: An Overview
The information I have about John Harvey comes from the following sources:
1. Information supplied to me by Carla Woodworth Lynas and based on
the 'Original Genealogical Collections, by the late Lieut. Col.
Robert John Harvey of Thorpe'. This is mentioned in a
publication called 'Walter Rye, Memoir Bibliography and Catalogue of
of his Norfolk Manuscripts in the Norwich Public Libraries' by Geo.
A. Stephen published in 1929? by the Public Libraries Committee,
Norwich. Original documents in the Norfolk Archives.
2. His portrait by John Theodore Heins. This is signed Heins 1734 and AT.32. meaning that he was 32 years old in 1734 which would mean that he was born around 1702. After he had died an inscription was added to the top saying that he was born in 1699 and died in 1750.
3. Another portrait mentioned in the book 'Portraits in Norfolk Houses' by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh, Vol 2, undated but published around 1928. Norwich, Holmwood, Thorpe, the property of Col J R Harvey, later moved to Windover, Burlesdon, Hants. Page 104. John is mentioned as being a linen draper in London.
If anyone can add more information about John Harvey I would be very pleased to hear from you.