Maj Gen Sir Robert John Harvey
Born: 21 February 1785 in Thorpe,
and was Christened 19 April in Norwich. He died 18 June1860, at
Norwich, aged 75.
Son of: John Harvey (1755-1842) and Frances Kerrison (1765-1809).
1. Fanny Bellman nee Harvey (1784-1867) who married Rev Edmund Bellman (1773-1843).
2. Marianne Day nee Harvey (1786-1812) who married the Rev Charles Day (1780-1856).
3. John Harvey (1787-1806).
4. Julia Harvey (1788-1808).
5. Emma Harvey (1790-1880).
6. Caroline Harvey (1792-1792).
7. George Harvey (1793-1831) who married Mary Ann Julia Beevor.
8. Louisa Harvey (1795-1810).
9. Caroline Mary Savill Onley nee Harvey (1797-1845) who married Onley Savill Onley (1795-1890).
10. Roger Kerrison Harvey (1802-1882) who married Eliza Beecroft.
11. Harriot Blakiston nee Harvey (1803-1886) who married Capt Thomas Blakiston RN (Thomas Blakeston, 1790-1861)
12. Rosa Ranking nee Harvey (1805-1865) who married John Ranking RN (1798-18??).
13. Augusta Trelawney nee Harvey (Augusta Lady Goring,1807-1875) who married 1st Sir Harry Dent Goring, 2nd John Trelawney (1793-18??).
14. Charlotte Blake-Humphrey nee Harvey (1809-1894) who married Robert Blake-Humphrey (1795-1886).
Robert married: his cousin Charlotte Mary Harvey (1793- 1869), only child of Robert Harvey Esq (1753-1820) and Charlotte Purdy.
Robert and Charlotte had issue:
1. Julia Sutton nee Harvey (1816-1893) who married 1st Capt Samuel Ives Sutton (1807-1850) son of Adm Sutton of Ditchingham. Julia married 2nd Peter Wells (see Norfok Portraits, Vol 2, page 171).
2. Sir Robert John Harvey (1817-1870).
3. Emma Harvey (18??-1895) who married Rev Henry Churchman Long, Rector of Newton and Swainsthorpe, son of Rev C Long of Dunston Hall (see Norfok Portraits, Vol 2, page 171).
4. Maria Frances Harvey (1821-1845).
5. John Harvey (1822-1874).
6. Charles Onley Harvey (18??-1824).
7. Edward Kerrison Harvey (1826-1906) who married 1st: Emma Susanna C hevallier (1828-1886), 2nd: Sophia Elizabeth Beevor (1843-1924).
8. Archibald Harvey (18??-1827).
Maj Gen Sir Robert John Harvey: An Overview
The information I have about Robert comes from the following sources:
1. Information supplied to me by Carla Woodworth Lynas and based on
the 'Original Genealogical Collections, by the late Lieut. Col.
Robert John Harvey of Thorpe'. This is mentioned in a
publication called 'Walter Rye, Memoir Bibliography and Catalogue of
of his Norfolk Manuscripts in the Norwich Public Libraries' by Geo.
A. Stephen published in 1929? by the Public Libraries Committee,
Norwich. Original documents in the Norfolk Archives.
2. The book 'A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain' By John Burke, published 1836, page 400, Harvey of Thorpe.
3. The Norwich Churches website
4. His bookplate.
5. The private publication 'Heir Looms Left By General Sir Robert John Harvey, Knight, At Mousehold House', 1860.
Robert had a very distinguished miltary career. In the expedition sent to Portugal in March 1809, under the command of Major-General Lord Hill, he served as a Captain of the 53rd Foot Regiment. In 1810, he was made a Major and appointed Assistant-Quarter-Master-General of the Portuguese Army attached to the Headquarters of the Portuguese Army