Skip to main content

Diary of Elisa Lousia Marsh-Caldwell
1818 - 1913.

The following diary was written out by Lousia as a record of her memories of her parents (Arthur Cuthbert Marsh and Anne Marsh Caldwell) and a summary of what she knew about her parents ancestors.  The document is all written in manuscript and consists of 61 pages but then stops mid sentance.  It would appear that she intended to continue with it but never did.  The diary reads as follows:






All the following accounts and memories of our Family and its branches, are collected from Old County Histories, from family manuscripts and from vocal tradition, heard from ones relations of the generations before us.


Lousia Marsh-Caldwell

Linely Wood 1879


It is essential to the right understanding of the "social position" of the Family of which the following is an account to remember (what probably will now be soon forgotten) that the "Yeoman (Joeman?) of  Kent" stood in a totally different position from the man called Yeoman in all other parts of England. The real old "Yeoman of Kent" was a Gentleman and he bore arms" in older times the clean (clear, clan?) and indefeatable Marsh of "Gentle blood." In most cases, as in that of the family in question, he descended from the old Saxon proprietors = As "The men of Kent." their County were along that part of England, that submitted to the Conqueror by treaty and were never vanquished. They for generations kept their old distinguishing Saxon Marsh (marks) of land and it was only by the process of time that the Saxon landowners of "Gentle blood" or its equivalent assimilated himself to the Norman customs of the remainder of England and adopted the bearing of arms and even Normanised his name - as did this family for a time, from "Marsh or Msh" to "De Marisco." This family were of Jute descent.


Our family is a branch of the Jute family of Marshs of Kent, one of considerable note in that county, in former centuries, but which also, owing to the Law of ---kind as practiced in the County of Kent, led to its constant subdivision of the family's estates. There were thus many branches of it, holding position and properties of importance. To mention some of these we will begin by that of Womingswold , where in the Church at that place still remains in the Chancel and taking up a large part of it, a monument -tempus Queen Elizabeth raised to the memory of the head of this branch of the family of Marsh at that date.


2nd. The branch of East Langdon, in the Church here is still preserved a Cape worked by the Ladies of "the Court' tempus Edward 3rd and large landowners in that part of the County. Our branch.


3rd. The Marshs of Marton about fifteen of sixteen miles from Dover, of this branch there is a fanciful story, partly founded on facts, in the "Ingoldsby Legends." (part rubbed out and written over) - unreadable.M-I .. I not - of this.

All the above sites are more or less near the South Eastern Coast of Kent. 


Page 3


These several members of one family from one common Saxon or Jute roots, all possessed considerable landed estates in Kent which unlike their Norman Countrymen they seem to have kept in their own hands and farmed, which in the early occupation of England by the Normans it is easily to be understood might be the case. The Saxon gentry would not be willing to take military service under a Norman Chief and those who were fortunate enough to preserve their possessions would naturally at first live as quietly as might be upon them, and keeping up their old customs of "Garchkind," besides not holding their lands as did the new possessors, by feudal tenure, they finally in Kent, became a special class, known as "Yoeman of Kent" of whom the old English saying went "The Laird of the North"


The Knight of the Shires"

And the Squire of high degree"

The Yoeman of Kent"

With his family seat"

Len buy them out all three"


Or as quoted in Damil Frinachritia 252

"A Knight of Lales, a gentleman of Wales, And a Laird of the north country, a yeoman of Kent with his yearly rent, will buy them out all three."


Page 4


The Family of Marsh in common with several of the other old Saxon families 'Normanised' their name taking for some centuries the name of "De Marisco" instead of their original name of "Märsh" or Maishe" or Marsh but reverted to the original surname about the time of King Henry 8th.


Of persons belonging to this family are to be noted the famous pirate and freebooter 'De Marisco' tempus Henry 3th, who keeping up the habits of his Saxon forefathers was accustomed to make descents and ravages all along the South Coast of England having also a freebooter settlement on Lundy Island on the Coast of Devon.


Also in the time of Edward 3th the Franciscan monk "De Marisco" the friend of the "Black Prince" and of John of Gaunt. He was one of the first members of the Order of St.Francis, who settled in England and was a man eminent in his time for his learning and the extreme wisdom, sanctity and charm of his character. Some letters from him are still extent and have been published.


Page 5


Narcipus Marsh born 1643 was Archbishop of Dublin and afterwards of Armagh who having for long held Plassment in Ireland was noted as a man of much learning and of great generosity and liberality of disposition.


Robert (Norbert?) Marsh Bishop of Peterborough tempus George 3rd celebrated as a man of learning, more especially in Hebrew and German literature.


The Arms this family bear are found registered and figured as belonging to them in ancient histories of the County of Kent and also in Guillerms Hearaldry tempus Charles 2nd as among those of the County families of Kent and in the Heralds College they have been confirmed to this family 3 times. Ie.

1st Tempus Henry 5th when an imposition of 'Arms' was made by the then King to raise money for his French wars, in which wars as by a tradition held by my father, a member of one branch of this Marsh family was granted a right to wear the castellated circlet horn which ipses, the neck of the (crest crossed out) horses head, the crest and this castellated circlet in addition, as a mark and recognition of his having commanded at the taking of some town in France.(Page 6)


2nd Tempus James 1st who made another imposition of arms and this confirmation of these arms to the Marsh family is still in the "Heralds Office."


3rd Queen Victoria - when the branch of the Marshs now at Linley Wood assumed by sign manual the name of Caldwell in addition to that of Marsh in compliance with the conditions of Mr Caldwells will.


Inquisition was made at this time by "Windsor King at Arms" as to the right to bear the arms of "Marsh" as heretofore done by our family and which we were duly allowed by him to do, upon his enquiry into our pedigree and the district in Kent from which by indisputable authority from father to son we can certify to be the one to which our family belonged.


Page 7


From a manuscript of my Great Grandfather Marsh we find that his Great Grandfather George Marsh married 1641 lived about sixteen miles from Dover, where, as well as in Romney Marsh, he possessed estates and considerable property. This George had three sons, his younger Sir Francis, from whom we are descended was born 1643 and married Hannah, by whom he had several children. This Francis took to the sea, as was the custom of his Saxon forefathers and the gentleman's sons of that time, see accounts of "Merchants of the Pale" in old Kentish histories etc etc. He possessed a vessel of his own and traded in foreign ports and on returning from one of his voyages was cast away of the Isle of Wight and he only escaped of the whole crew. He was cast into the sea with the others and saved of all in the ship nothing but a few valuable papers and the Family Bible prayer book, still preserved by our family. He settled ultimately in Hampshire and had two sons, George and Daniel. The elder son George married Elizabeth Milbourne of an old and considered Northumberland family.


Page 8 


Of Daniel, the second son, one of his descendents, through nautical acquaintances, claimed relationship with my father, while he was still living and at Eastbury Herts. The representative of this branch of the family, so doing, being at the time one of the members of the Chapter of  Salisbury Cathedral, but nothing more came of it, so my father being at the time occupied with other affairs gave no further thought to the matter. Mr Marsh of Ransidge Hants, M.P. is also -d to the same Daniel Marsh, as is supposed from what has been heard of their descent.


To return to our own immediate ancestor George Marsh, born 1683 he was entered an Officer of the Royal Navy and held afterwards a post in Chatham Dockyards and was remarkably tall and powerful man dying at the age of 71 from the excess of an internal injury caused by his having seized an anchor and moved it from the place where it lay, upon his men having said that they had not the strength to do so. Of his wife's family there is an interesting anecdote recounted in the


Page 9 - 


 following words in a manuscript of her son, my Great Grandfather - beginning "March 1792. some years since an estate was advertised of about 1,000 per (then) per annum, which had been the property of William Marsh Esq of Hertfordshire, who died intestate and was descended from one of that name, who formerly resided near Romney Marsh in Kent which imported thus whoever could prove themselves his heirs at Law would be immediately put in possession of it. Whereupon I took a great deal of trouble from what I had heard my father say, of his father and grandfather (see page 13) [--] but as I was not enabled to prove myself the heir to this estate it became escheat to the crown.


This circumstance induced me to commit to writing the following memorandums of what I had heard from my father and mother of their families, and what I know of my own, in order to leave to my executors, being satisfied from the above mentioned circumstances and for other reasons, a chronology from father to son, would be very proper, and afford information and perhaps pleasing entertainment to successors!' He then begins


An Account of the Family with some particular circumstances respecting the Marquis of Montrose as related by my mother - George Marsh. March 1792.


"Her Maiden name was Elizabeth Melbourne whose Grandfather John Milbourne Esq. had a capital fortune in the north of England when he resided when the great Marquis of Montrose was defeated by the Kings enemies, who after suffering very great hardships, in living in disguise in Woods or Bessiers, several days, escaped from the very great extraordinary search made all over the Country for him, and came to his (Mr Milbourne's) house by night, for protection, in a most wretched condition, as he well knew he (Mr Milbourne) was a faithful subject of the Kings and that he had a very great respect and affection for himself, but before he would take refuge there, he nobly told him the consequence, namely that if he should be found under his protection it would be


Page 11


death to him and all his family; who nevertheless was very happy to see him safe, and eagerly  expressed his earnest desire of taking him under his care, who thereupon wished to be put in some secret place as soon as possible arguing that he was certain they were hunting for him in every house and place in the Country; and therefore would most probably soon come to his. For that purpose; Mr Milbourne was in the habit of buying most of the Scotch Cattle and had a Farm yard or home field of near three acres of ground in which he kept them till sold to London dealers, to be sent to Romney Marsh in Kent to fatten, which was well furnished with Barns and outhouses for that purpose. In one part of this Ground was a large pen of partly dryed up in which was a large broken useless trough to where straw used to be kept for them, in a great degree covered with mud and dirt, laying not quite upright which he prepared and laid him in, after a short refreshment, with lose clean straw, throwing some which was dirty ---lessly on, and about the same, after which he had just washed and wiped his hands, when a small party of his enemies came to his house in quest of him, who immediately examined all the outhouses in a very particular manner and going from them to the house to do the like, one of them in a kind of frolick cryed what is in there, and immediately ran into the mud and jabbed his sword between the Marquis's legs, but concluded he was not in so filthy a thing, did not run his sword in a second time, but proceeded with the party to the house and examined every room and place about it, behaving with great insolence and cruelty in running their swords in the beds and after eating and drinking what ..(page 5 ends) what they pleased to seize, they departed in the morning from it, but not without violent threats to him and his family, if it should ever appear he had secreted the Marquis. The house was so situated that they could see any Passengers for near a mile around it. So that soon after they were gone, he placed a faithful person to look out, and give timely notice if he should observe anybody coming towards it, and then took the Marquis out of the trough, when he found him all over in a violent perspiration, who exclaiming in tears O' my dear friend Milbourne I never knew I was a cowing before, I endangered the lives of you and yours, in the manner I have done, to save my own, and said he was however determined never to do the like again, having death, of which he thanked god he was not afraid. Then taking a little more refreshment he begged to have a prayer book and to go into a private room to prepare himself for it, and to make his peace with God and at night took his leave and kissed Mr. Milbourne and all his family leaving him with thanks and all possible gratitude for his particular kindness and friendship to him and signified he would go a contrary way from the house to prevent suspicion, to Lord Custon's with whom he wished to speak about his family affairs, as having been a friend and follower of his:- but added he had fixed a revelation that he would afterwards go and deliver himself up to his enemies to do with him whatever they pleased, for he said he shuddered (?) on reflecting how narrowly he escaped being found  in the trough when the sword went between his legs, and that he was affected to his heart in thinking how nearly death and destruction was to him and his family for his friendship to him. And not withstanding any argument wavered  to dissuade him and that his narrow escape in the trough seemed to presage Providence and preserved his life for Noble purposes, he could not be prevailed upon to change his mind:- Upon his entering Lord Aston's house he treacherously, either through fear or from meaness through sake of the reward, seized and delivered him up to his enemies at Edinburgh where he was shamefully and ignominiously hanged on a gallows thirty feet high for the space of three hours; his head cut off and fixed upon Edinburgh Toll booth, his legs and arms on the gates of the cities of Stirling, Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen and his body buried. The Marquis's progenitors were of ancient extraction and had held the highest places in Scotland and had been allied to the Crown. He was a man of intrepid courage and his virtues far exceeded his faults, and well deserved to have his memory preserved amongst the illustrious persons of the age, which Mr. Milbourne used to say he should adore to his last moments, and always kept the print of him in his chamber which is now in the Family of his descendents. On the 28th May 1661 eleven years after his execution the Marquis of Argyle, his avowed enemy and principle promoter of his degradation and cruel death was hanged at Edinburgh, his head and limbs fixed up in the same places, and the remains of the Marquis's of Montrose's taken down, and a most pompous princely burial made for them attended with all possible magnificence, which the Marquis of Argyle had the mortification of seeing just before himself was executed:- soon after the death of the Marquis of Montrose, Mr Milbourne had intimation from friends that it was known he had secreted him, and that therefore it would not be safe to continue in his house. Who thereupon buried all his plate and valuables in an old dry well, and flew with his family into an obscure part of Scotland; of which information having been given, a party came to his house in a few days after he was gone, opened the well, took possession of his effects, burnt his house and all his barns and outhouses and almost ruined him and his family; with which, however, he often declared he was not so much concerned of as he was by the approbrious and treatment of the most noble Marquis, for whom he had the utmost affection, which so prayed on his mind that he fell into a decline and died in a few months after;-


His son John Milbourne my mother's father did some years after obtain part of his valuable estate&ldots; Here follows further particulars of his Grandfather not necessary to insert here. To return to the George Marsh , Elizabeth Milbourne husband born 1683 died as related above, of their nine children only two sons and one daughter survived, Milbourne, the eldest at Port Mahon and afterwards died 18-. Naval Agent Victualler at Chatham. He had 2 sons Francis Major


Page 17


90th Regiment of Foot and John Commissioner of H.M.S. Victualling Office, London and one daughter married to Mr Crisp a lineal descendent of (see Blake) of The Sir Nicholas Crispe mentioned in Clarendon's History - their only child married Sir George Shee Bart who held considerable post as Master of the Ordanance under Government of Ireland  and had two sons and two daughters ie Sir G Shee eldest son of the former and Colonel  Shee whom we do remember as a cousin and friend of my father - both died without descendents, of the daughter one died unmarried, the other Letitia, married Mr Robert Desing (?) of Lochbys Hants, youngest son of the then representing of the Dering family of Kent.- of this marriage the issue was one son who is very scientific and clever especially upon the subject of electricity. This connection was kept up as long as my Father and Mother lived but we have now lost sight of it.


John Marsh, as above, 2nd son of Milbourne Marsh, has two sons  and one daughter. The eldest, Milbourne (crossed out - became embarrassed in his affairs and went to Sydney, New South Wales) where he seems to have done well and with his son Mr


Page 18


Milbourne Marsh of New South Wales who holds a post of some eminence there. We still keep up the relationship - the second son George Augustus was a clergyman and a popular preacher in his day and died Rector of Bangor in Wales - he had five sons who all, I believe died without children, the daughter married Sir Thomas Dowanmer KCP, sometime Governor of Woolich? Isaac, third surviving son of George Marsh born 1683 was Sir Peter Warrens 1st Lieutenant and died comparatively early. Mary, the only surviving daughter marred a Mr Duval a French man and their only child married Mr John Morrison, Deputy Master of the Mint to which post his only son James afterwards " Sir James Morrison" succeeded him at his death. This Sir James Morrison with his two sisters whom we remember ie. Elizabeth and Mary Morrison were wealthy people they all intended at their deaths, that their property, as they more than once explained, should come to my Father Arthur Cuthbert Marsh and his children. The two Sisters died first leaving their property for his life to their brother knowing that it was his intention to leave all his own large property to our Father and that their's would go with it - but just at the end of his last illness


Page 19


His wife, Lady Morrison, persuaded him to leave all his money in her power -that - it was understood in the family under the condition that his wish should be complied with as to its ultimate disposal. She, poor woman in her turn became wild  and it is supposed inebriate, and some unprincipled lawyers getting hold of her - shut her up from all her nearest relations and got a will made entering in their favour though she had nephews of her own - and so this large property to which she being penniless when Sir James married her, had never contributed anything, passed from her husbands family to strangers.


The 4th and 2nd surviving son, Sir George (of George Marsh born 1683) and our own Gt Grand Father was born 1722 and married Ann Long of the Wiltshire family of that name. He for 60 years served his country in HMS Navy Offices in which at that time was conducted all the Civil business of the Royal Navy - but which "Offices" soon after the beginning of the nineteenth century , was combined with the Admiralty and this separate branch


Page 20


Called the "Navy Office" done away with. Mr Marsh was for "62 years in His Majesty's Service thirty two of which a Commissioner of the Victualling and Navy and Twenty two thereof head of the latter termed "Clerk of the Acts" of the Navy and in the latter capacity sitting at the head of the Board, and this during the reign of James 3rd, which monach had a great liking for him, admiring his integrity and energy of character, so much so that he wished to attach Mr Marsh about his own person at Court - George III when making visits to the several dock yards always sending for Mr Marsh, if he could possibly be in attendance, to accompany him. The latter however declined being promoted "into a very excellent position" for, to use his own words, "I had fortitude enough to decline, being afraid of great connections which would most probably lead me into fashionable distractive habits and manner of living, and destroy my health and peace of mind." Mr Marsh died in office in the year 1800 possessing an income of what at this date would be about £6,000 a year. A Patent for a Baronetcy, as by family papers, since found an Irish Peerage was what was designed for him, was made out for him which as a particular


page 21


- mark of favour the King wished to confer upon him at a personal interview, but the Commissioner's death by a sudden and unexpected illness at the age of 78 prevented the Kings purpose being carried into execution, it was said at the time however that his only surviving son William Marsh, our Grandfather would have had a Baronetcy conferred upon himself had he chosen to make interest to this effect, which it appears he did not care to do. The Commissioner's fortune was considerably augmented, besides his official salaries, by properties left to him by relations and others, and also by the profits of a "Navy Agency" which he had established. He by all the accounts come down of him seems to have been a man of remarkably good and sound sense, perseverance and energy of disposition, combined with the highest integrity and sense of honour as well as sweetness and kindness of temper. A high euligium was expressed of him in one of the leading papers of the day, when announcing that a Baronetcy was about to be conferred upon him, mentioning some of the points above and noticing the "condescension" of his manner to all


Page 22


- who had business to do with him. The Family never knew who wrote and published this notice of Mr Marsh in the papers -

Mr Marsh died in 1800 - his wife Ann Long, having done so some years before him. He had a house at Blackheath as well in London and this latter was close to the Lord Dartmouth's of that date to whom the Commissioner was drawn by intimate ties of friendship, and settled at Blackheath to be near a person to whom he was so much attached. His wife's family had greatly fallen through the ill conduct and extravagance of her Father, a scion of the Longs of Wiltshire - her Mother was a Miss Meade, a niece of the celebrated Dr Meade of Queen Anne's time (1680s) who was of an old and good Buckinghamshire family, it is through her, that we possess some gloves of the Dr's as well as some spoons of his father's the celebrated preacher "Matthew Meade" as besides, a pair of James 2nd Gloves - which were left in his flight from London at a farm house belonging to this family near Rochester at which the King took refuge that rainy stormy night of his disastrous escape (Dec 1688). My Great Grandmother had one brother, William Long, who died unmarried and had served as a volunteer on the Hanovarian


Page 23


-side of the battle of "Culloden" 1745, when he picked up o the field of battle, the biskat kilted sword with an "Andrea Ferrase" blade - he afterwards gave it to my Great Grandfather, his brother in law - and which is now in our possession. Mrs Marsh seems to have been a misguided and clever woman, but very small in stature. My Grandfather Marsh used to describe the contrast between his two Grandmothers Marsh and Long. The former, nee Milbourne - so quiet, gentle, large and handsome, the latter (nee Miss Meade) small, pignente, lively and high tempered, and this high temper her daughter, the Commissioner's wife seems to have inherited. She is reported also to have been very proud, and was evidently held in great awe by her husbands nieces, or to the Greatneices - the Miss Morrisons, who used to tell us of her as well as other members of our family, of whom they kept the traditions. Mrs Marsh was always styled "Madame Marsh." The fine emerald now in the possession of Duke Crofton belonged to her and by all accounts she kept great style (?) and c in her family, which was considerably relaxed at her death, and when the Commissioners made her "to acting Gentlewoman and Companion" his housekeeper, Old


Page 24


Mrs Ray, whom we can all remember as still living in our childhood days, and who had cabinets and drawers full of things, besides various furniture belonging to her former - employers and of kinds, Commissioner Marsh and his wife - and which my Grandfather Marsh left under her charge and keeping for her life not willing to disturb her in them, but which afterwards, as my dear mother and Aunt Amelia used to say, though, want of care and management were taken possession of, by a person, old Mrs Ray adopted as a child, and were all sold away before our family had noticed that the poor old lady was dead. My Great grandmother in spite of her reported high temper, was a person of deep feeling (two lines very scribbled out.)

My Great Grandfather on the occasion of her death writes in his mss book "1st April 1784" My dear wife died between 10 and 11 of this morning after a long dropsical illness. We have been married 35 years and never had a separate purse or separate interest in any of our concerns, she was a very nice, affectionate woman." She is supposed never


Page  25


-to have recovered the death of her only daughter Anne, who died in 1777 aged seventeen. She was very pretty and was remarked among all for her lovely figure. It is curious as correct of the meaness of that age, that her mother though devotedly attached to her, kept her with such strictness, as is supposed in some measure to have affected her health. When in London she was never even allowed to approach a window alone without either her mother or her governess. The Commissioner's eldest son George was a remarkably handsome man, but died unmarried many years before his father, as did a third son 'Samuel Marsh' as an infant. Thus Mr Marsh and his wife had 3 sons and one daughter. Their 2nd son William = my Grandfather = being their only surviving child. Amongst other family portraits of ours at Mrs Ray's were two of Mr Marsh's father, when a boy, tempus Charles II, representing a very handsome and intelligent looking child, but as has been seen this promise of the boy's looks was disappointed, but the pictures were remarkable to us, as bearing so strong a likeness to my brother, his great great greandson - maternally


Page 26


-to the subject of the portraits

The Commissioner and his wife lived at his official residence in London and also as I have already said at Blackheath, then completely in the country. About 50 years ago there still used to be seen on Blackheath Common a handsome stone pump known as the "The Commissioner's Pump" and which he had built for the convenience of the poor villagers then living near the place.

Among our papers there is an account of a journey to hire transports to take up (Foreign - German?) troops for the American war of Independence. This service he executed with the entire approbation of the King and Ministry. He says on his return June 1776 waited upon the King, Lord Chancellor Bathurst, and Lord Sandwich. His Majesty said he was glad to see me safe back in England after so bad a journey as I must have had, as such an uncommon severe season. Lord Chancellor desired me to dine with him which I did do and observed I had executed the business quite to the satisfaction of the Ministry. Lord Sandwich was also pleased to express


Page 27


-this utmost satisfaction with all I had done having hired and caused to be properly fitted and victualled 34,000 tones of shipping to carry to America 17,000 foreign troops there, at the expense of upwards of 200,000, who all arrived there in perfect health. In this journey I got nothing but repayment of my expenses. Had Lord Egmont been alive or had Lord Sandwich been my particular friend I should no doubt have had some great distinguished reward. The American war was no doubt a very unhappy business, but I had nothing to do with that, but as an individual I was sorry for it or that Government judged it necessary.


Page 28


-here may be added a few more particulars of Commissioner Marsh's mother's family (Milbourne) as connected with the story at the beginning of this book of the arrest and death of the great Marquis of Montrose, which we have recorded from a descendent of the eldest son of Mr Marsh of Chatham dockyard, of whom the Commissioner, our forbear, was a younger son.


soon after the death of the Marquis of Montrose, Mr Milbourne had intimation from friends that it was known he had secreted him, and that therefore it would not be safe to continue in his house. Who thereupon buried all his plate and valuables in an old dry well, and flew with his family into an obscure part of Scotland; of which information having been given, a party came to his house in a few days after he was gone, opened the well, took possession of his effects, burnt his house and all his barns and outhouses and almost ruined him and his family; with which, however, he often declared he was not so much concerned of as he was by the approbrious and treatment of the most noble Marquis, for whom he had the utmost affection, which so prayed on his mind that he fell into a decline and died in a few months after


His son John Milbourne my mother's father did some years after obtain part of his valuable estate consisting chiefly of a small colliery Yd and lived in a very genteel manner near Morpeth and Alnwick in Northumberland, highly esteemed by the nobility and gentry of the country in so much that he was intrusted and had the management of several of their large estates as their land steward;- Soon after the death of his wife he unfortunately was bound for a nobleman's son for 20,000, who proved false to him which occasioned his sudden departure from his house leaving five daughters at a boarding school and immediately to seek protection 'till his affairs could be settled. For this purpose he got on board a ship of war stationed on that coast, commanded by Captain Townshend to whom he told his case and entreated his protection for a few days, although he was a total stranger to him, who most humanely and kindly gave it, and even insisted that he should live with him, and have a bed put up for him in his state room to sleep by him.


Mr Milbourne was of very genteel engaging manners a fine handsome person, a good scholar and of great abilities, and as the Captain found he was an excellent Pen man, and Mr Milbourne wished to be as useful to him as possible, whilst he remained on board his ship, and at this time the Ministry corresponded with the Captain respecting some very important business, it was intended that he should be sent upon to one of the Courts in Germany, he desired him to write all his letters for him in the execution of which he was so pleased that when Mr Milbourne in about a fortnight after his first going into his Ship, had advise that the Nobleman had satisfied his son's creditors, and that he might return to his house and family; the Captain entreated him to go with him to the German Court to transact the business for him, who first returned to his house to put his affairs into proper hands, and then went back to the Captain agreeable to his desire and proceeded with him to the Coast of Holland, he having entertained the utmost gratitude and indeed affection for him for his great kindness and protection to him. They had not made the Coast but a few hours before a violent storm came on in which the ship foundered and half the crew were drowned, but as the Captain and himself were of the number saved, they proceeded on the Captain's business to the German Court where they were so lucky as to accomplish it in a very few days to the great satisfaction of the Ministry, insomuch that upon the Captain's return to London an account came from Portsmouth that the Commissioner of the Navy residing there was dead, he Sir Isaac Townshend was appointed to succeed him as Commissioner of the Navy there. Upon which he further requested Mr Milbourne to go with him to that place and that they might never separate till death should part them, which he also complied with, and had good appointments there by the Captain's interest. Mr Milbourne being seized in the year 1722 with a violent fever made a Will and took leave of his five daughters, and told them not above an hour before his death, that he had left his fortune equally between them. Immediately after they had retired out of his room a female who was his housekeeper and managed his house and servants got a low fellow of a lawyer to the house, who made a Will, leaving the whole of his fortune to her, and though the signing was not his handwriting nor could he be in his senses when it was said he executed it, yet as no other Will could be found and the lawyer took an oath it was Mr Milbournes handwriting and that he was in his senses when he signed it, the housekeeper got possession of the whole of his fortune.

Signed John Marsh 1791.

/Great grandson by his mother Elizabeth Marsh nee Milbourne, of the above Mr John Milbourne.  


Page 30 

William Marsh.

Born 1756 died 1846 = late.

Of (now called) Strethadan House, -- and Wilkindons Hants


William Marsh  = as we have said = the only surviving son of the above Commissioner George Marsh  = was born in 1755 and was made Senior Partner during his eldest brothers life time, of an eminent "Navy Agency" his father had founded - in addition to which = he was made a partner in a well known Banking Firm in the West end of London of which the then Senior Partners, was Sir David Sibbald. On the retirement of the latter Mr Marsh became head Partner of the Firm - which was then composed of himself, Mr Stuart a son of Lord Palmeston = a connection of Mr Marsh's= and of Mr Stacey. A younger son of the then Sir Edward Stacey, of Rackheath Park, Norfolk.

On Mr Stuart's withdrawal from the Firm he was replaced by Colonel Graham ("Uncle Graham" as known to us) a brother of Mr Marsh's second wife = Miss Francis Graham =


Page 31


As time and years went on, Mr Marsh as Senior Partner and head of the Firm, became to all intents and purposes as regarded the ordinary working of the Bank, more and more of a "Sleeping partner," and the son of an old and confidential Clerk named Fauntleroy was added to the Partners = This (as ultimately turned out = poor wretched man) - was a very clever one and also an excellent man of business, but the extreme immorality both of his private life, and his principles as a man of business, which were concealed under a mask of great piety and virtue, in the end brought himself to a shameful death, and entailed ruin upon all with whom he was concerned = This unfortunate criminal added to his other delinquencies so unknown to all, gambling largely in the funds and to cover the excesses of his dissolute life and his losses in gambling he robbed the Bank of which he was a Partner, 'cooking' the books with extreme ingenuity and not only this but he contrived to cheat the Bank


Page 32 


-of England through forgeries upon the latter, while (in his - crossed out) gambling in the Funds which latter having been discovered by the Bank of England to the immediate cause of bringing to light this wretched man's delinquencies.

The Bank of England came down upon the "House," of which Fauntleroy was a junior Partner for repayment of the losses they had sustained through their own oversight, and it was this step of the Bank of England, which caused the run of the Bank to which our Grand father belonged. A course of action in the Bank of England, which in later times was thought = as I have heard = by good financial authorities to have been a very questionable one on their part but which the private Bank at that time had owing to the consequent confusion in its affairs, no power of opposing.


Had this step by the Bank of England of claiming from the private Bank the losses it had sustained (by its own carelessness) from one of the latter's partners not been taken, "The Berners Street Bank"


Page 33


(now exp---(replaced?) by Sir Claude Scotts in Cavendish Square) as my Mother has told us, in spite of the deprecations in their accounts from Fauntleroy's conduct would have stood, its affairs being in such a then very healthy state = ultimately even as it was -as I have been informed by an old official of "the House," it paid 20s/ in the £.

Mr Marsh on the breaking up of the Berners Street Bank and also of the "Naval Agency" which fell with it, surrendered every farthing of property which he had possessed. The Bank when it stopped owing him, besides, a large sum of money, his share of the profits of the business, which he had allowed to accumulate.

This crash which happened in 1824.5 came like a thunderbolt upon the Partners and the world in general, as the House was supposed by all but Fauntleroy, who of course knew how he had undermined it, to be in a most flourishing


Page 34


-condition and was held in such esteem by the Great Banker Lafitte of Paris (Jacques Lafitte 1767 - 1844)  that he used to say "that there were no 'House' in London that did business so well as the one in Berners Street."

Our Mother has often told us of my Grandfather's conduct and manner at this time, which she described as seeming to be elevated into an extraordinary dignity and nobleness. She told us, "she should never forget the expression on his face as he sat alone on a sofa, the other Partners and his men of business standing round him, met to consult whether on this fearful discovery of Fauntleroy's crimes, it would be expedient to close the doors of the Bank, or not?" My Grand father stood firmly by it, that his will was that the doors should be shut saying "We do not know what lies before us, there is a tremendous run on the Bank now and I will not for a chance of preservation of ourselves run the risk of ruining those of my friends who out of kindness to us, refrain from chasing (clearing?) out their deposits."


Page 35 


So the Bank doors were closed, and the "House" fell. I believe that at the time, our Grandfather was blamed for not having taken a more active share(?) in the business of the Bank, as men thought that he being a much cleverer man than either Colonel Graham or Mr Stacey, we would probably have not been duped and hoodwinked by Fauntleroy,, as to his proceedings with the with the funds at their Bank as they had been = who managed most wickedly to accuse these latter of "being able to know if they would what he was about" a thoroughly false and shameless accusation which even if it had been true, as it would not have diminished his own guilt - longer since there had (made?) - such as he could in not ways prove his accusation he ought never to have been allowed to make in Court and in which blame if blame there was the Bank of England - Mr Marsh though he had in fact nothing to do with the daily management of the Bank leaving this as has been said before, in the junior 

Page 36

-partners, cast his lot in all things as regarded responsibility and, a in with them, and would allow of no distinction in their respects being made between them and himself. It was a great pleasure to my own dear Father (his son), to hear long years afterwards, when he was breakfasting at Sir Henry Hollands with Mr Robert Smith (Father of the Lord Clivden?) commonly known as "Bodus Smith" the brother of Syndey Smith, the wit.) a man ---ly respected and looked up to for his virtue and wisdom = that talking of the often injustice of public clamour, he had known none to his mind more eminently so than the blame thrown upon Mr Marsh and his Partners "on the occasion of the failure of their Bank - occasioned as it was by the crimes of one man - and one man alone - Mr Smith did not know that my Father was in anyway connected with the principal persons in the matter alluded to, much less that he was the son of the principal person so cruelly injured, and thus this testimony of Mr Smith's, was of great value

Page 37

-to Mr Marsh's son, who had felt acutely for his father. 

My Grandfather lived for the remainder of his life upon pensions from his own children and his 3rd wife, who at her death in 1839 left him money. His children had inherited good fortunes from their respective mothers.

Mr Marsh married three times ie

1st in 1785 Amelia, eldest daughter of Arthur Cuthbert Esq of Woodcot Park near Epsom Surrey and in London the house which now stands next Aspley House opposite the Green Park = "The Young People," as Mr Marsh's father, Commissioner Marsh remarks, stating both their father's being dead - "comfortably," in or that would at this date 1883 be equivalent to about £8,000 per annum. Independent of the highly lucrative profits arising from the Bank in which "Young" Mr Marsh was, as we have seen, a partner.

Mrs Marsh was well connected, her younger sister married Baron Von Klinkowstrom (Gluckerström) a Danish nobleman of high consideration in Denmark. Her, this sister's daughters name became Princess Fesseu having married a nephew of the celebrated Count Fesen who assisted Mnsr l Artornelle and the French royal family in their flight to Varennes at his nephew "the Prince" being Grand Chamberlain, or something of that kind to the Emperor Nicholas of Russia. Of my Grandmother's nephews and nieces, by her brother, one married a daughter of Lord Gredes (?), and one of the nieces married Admiral Rowe (?) the brother of Lord Stradbrooke, which Admiral Rows was much on the turf and reckoned an authority from his high morals and a in all matters appertaining to racing. By his marriage with Miss Cuthbert  Mr Marsh had five children - Arthur Cuthbert = Amelia = George = Anne and Sarah who died an infant. Mrs Marsh died in 1791 aged 27. Of her, I have heard her husband, my


Page 39


Grandfather say, looking up at her picture, "Ah, she was fit to adorn a Cottage or a Palace." She lived much in the world and the fashionable society of that day, her two most intimate friends were the then Duchesses of Manchester and Marlborough. I have head two old ladies who knew her says, that her strength was not equal to the quick succession in the births of her children, and the life "of the world" she led and she died of decline. Her father, Mr Cuthbert must have been a man of great power and cleverness, he was in a high position under the "Company" in India, and amassed a very large fortune £14,000 a year in those days, which of course at the difference in the value of money now and then, would now have been three times as much. My Grandmother had £40,000 for her fortune, and the same remark applies to the difference in value of money 100 years ago and now.


Page 40


-of the five children by this marriage, Arthur the eldest was our own most honoured, steadily loved father, of whom more further on:-


Amelia, known amongst us as "Aunt Rose?" never married. She was a person full of generosity and kindness of heart, combined with a high spirit which did not well brook contradiction, a most dear and affectionate Aunt to all of us, and we were most taken in many ways in our "bringing up." She was very clever and had a talent for repartee and wit which now seems to be gone and to have belonged only to a past generation. She died in 1861 aged 73.


George, Reverend of Saldanha Bay at the Cape of Good Hope and later on Chief Magistrate at Mossel Bay in the same colony. He married a Miss de Wääl of an old Dutch family in Cape Town, and had four sons and one daughter ie, William, George, Arthur and Egbert. Annie, the daughter married Mn Bergeron an eminent French Civil Engineer

Page 43

She has no children and now, in 1884, is become a widow. Of the sons the youngest, Egbert, is the only one who has children. He and William at this date being the only survivors. (with three sisters) of my Uncle's children, and at this date they are all living together in Switzerland. Egbert being separated from his wife by whom he has three little boys, now of the company in Switzerland.

Anne, the 4th child of William Marsh married Mns Gabiou de Chanceaux, had no children and died a widow in Paris in 1870. Her last illness being brought on by the severity of the winter and the hardships she incurred in Paris, as soon as the gates were open after the siege, during which time her household had been shut up there.

Sarah died an infant the same year as her mother - 1791.

Page 44

Mr Marsh married secondly in 1792 Francis, second daughter of Mr Graham of Kinross and for some years M.P. for that County. She was a person of a most sweet and gentle disposition and was adored by her step children and could not have been more so had she been their own mother. Her brother was the Colonel Graham who became a Parnter in our Grandfather's bank and her only and eldest sister married Sir Henry Dashwood, of Kertlington, Oxon. Lady Dashwood was very beautiful and much about the Court, but had a troubled life, as Sir Henry was a great gambler and often brought his family to great straits and as Lady Ely, his eldest daughter, who married the Marquis of Ely, used to say with tears in her eyes to her uncle (by marriage) our Grandfather, "What would have become of them all but for his kindness, she used to say" and I believe, in truth that at one time he almost maintained the whole Ketlington family.

By this second marriage Mr Marsh had four children, their mother dying in 1806. 

Page 45

These children were William, Frances, Mary and Georgina Nelson. This last so christened after her Godmother Lady Nelson, the wife of the great Lord Nelson who had been a friend of our Grandfathers from their youth. All these children except "Aunt Georgy" died comparatively early, and we have only small remembrance of them. "Aunt Georgy" was truly loved by us all. She was of a most generous and affectionate nature and as highly a conscientious woman as ever lived. All these children of the second marriage died unmarried. They also inherited very good fortunes from their mother.

In 1811 Mr Marsh married for his third wife Miss Eliza Tresillian , and as far as mothers of this world goes, a clever and managing woman, and very handsome, but this marriage was not approved of by the family, nor did it lend in anyway to its wellbeing. "Aunt Eli?" was at that time about 29 and had kept

Page 46

Her father's house and been part of the family since the second Mrs Marsh's death in 1806. Miss Tresillian was not one that either by ancestry or connections her step children could look up to, and it wished for a high spirits young woman to have to make way for her. They would naturally have much preferred another marriage for their father which was on the tepis?, ie to Miss Blend?, a sister of the then Lord Dacres, but she was plain, and a lady, and this other was very handsome, and knew "how to play her cards," and so contrived to be the one selected. Some short time after the marriage the daughter of Mr Marsh, by his first wife, set up a home of their own. There was a breach in the family, and the third Mrs Marsh being neither liked, or her connections on the same like as those of the former wives, gradually the whole tone of the society in Mr Marsh's house, was changed and lowered. 

Mr Marsh died in 1846 at the age of 91

Page 47 

At Cheltenham when he had gone for change of air, from Eastbury in Hertfordshire, his eldest son's house, where at that time, with his youngest daughter, Aunt Georgy, he had made his home.

He was a remarkably handsome man and this beauty he retained to the extreme old age of 91 when he died away quietly, his hands in his beloved eldest sons and faithful little youngest daughters, without any apparent pain or suffering, conscious to the last and literally "falling asleep."

Our Grandfather was more than ordinarily gifted, with beauty, intellect and wit, also kind and generous hearted, but he had felt the influence of the times in which his youth had passed and was in his early and middle life more self-indulgent than a man of his -ting would have been in these present days, but he was tried by great and unexpected misfortune, and like good metal, the fire was a purifying one, and no men could have stood such

Stray page from William Marsh's diary

Tuesday 30th Dec 1823

At Knightsbridge School Committee - a very odd account given by Mr Allshorn of the loss of the Box with the Sacrament money £7.17 out of his Desk when it was deposited and the key left in it and what is more extraordinary he came home at 11 oclock the night before and does not appear to have locked or treped the door of House 111 the Committee paused upon paying him his full quarter's allowance and therefore deducted for the present the outstanding sum - gave him a draft therefore for only £5.5.6

Lord DeDunstable called and we settled the affair of the poor - amiably 

Deposit to self settled with Mr E £10

Deposit to Mr Roseont of which I paid my subscription to Knightsbridge School £5

Christie cleared away my model and rest of pictures - In Berners St met Arthur 


X Baldock Delmar came out to me with a letter from his brother and a written - or understanding drawn up by Mr Domwille, by which I found had. D - has paid the money into Maitin!!

Next page - A page from my Grandfather Marsh Diary 1823

24th Dec 1823

Went to Town by Gates - walked from the Borough to Spunling's Westminster office Scotland Yard, and Berners Street. Mr Graham at Eton = went to Knightsbridge at 3 o'clock found a letter from Eliza to reg B.D.D. declined the floor clothes he came in and as I found his lordship was at Knots Hotel wrote him on the subject---- at home and did not stir out = Christies then reserving part of my Partners.

Sent my Grandfather Long, my Mother's Brother and a near relation to Mrs Ray to hang up in her house. 

(Elizas handwriting) These pictures we remember in Mrs Ray's house, as children. The first chessed tempus Charles II and a singular likeness to our own brother Martin. This Mr Long married a neice of the celebrated Dr Mende and through his / Mr Long's daughter, who married Mr Commissioner Marsh, we we inherit the gloves D GLMG  X

These pictures were lost with the rest of Mrs Ray's effect, which through negligence on the family's part, at her death all went to a good for ooz servant.

Arthur Cuthbert Marsh, the eldest son of the late William Marsh and the writers father, was born July 1786. The position of his family both by fortune and it connections was at that time and for long after, one which may be called of distinguished. He was sent to Cambridge with a more than usual share of the adventures of this world, as a fellow commoner of St. Johns, at this time, the beginning of this century, the most fashionable college of that university. He there lived on intimate terms, with the afterwards celebrated Minister, Lord Palmeston, Lord Percy, the future Duke of Northumberland, and others in those lines of society, and was popular and much respected by all.

My father took an AM degree, which for one who had no necessity to "work" was thought at this period more only an exceptional case. Men in his position at that date usually contenting themselves with an A.B. degree.

His ardent desire was to enter the Army but this wish he relinquished from a sense of what he considered his duty, resolving that he would not be, as his father was,

Page 51 

-as his father was, a Partner in a Bank in which he did not take an active part in the management, and one of which, in all human probability, he was in the future to be "Head." In doing this however, as he afterwards expressed to his wife, "he felt like a man putting himself into harness for life" his natural tastes. Leading him to seek far different pursuits. Before setting himself to learn the routine of the business, in which as he imagined, his future life was to be mainly engaged , and immediately upon leaving College, he and Sir George Dashwood of Kertlington , a very near connection of his family, traveled in France and Spain together. In the latter country the war with Napoleon the 1st was then going on. The English army was commanded by the great Duke of Wellington, for whom my father had then, and ever afterwards, an enthusiastic admiration. While living at the British delegation at Lisbon Mr Marsh and his friend from thence visited many of the famous battle fields of those wars and saw much that was of the greatest interest. My father acquired both Spanish and French

Page 52,

-conversationally and in their literature and spoke the latter tongue so perfectly that about 25 or 30 years afterwards a French man who was teaching my sisters and myself, happening to hear our father speak French through the doors of another room, took him to be a countryman of his own. His Spanish was I believe equally remarkable.

When our father returned to England he immediately, as I said, put himself into training for the business at the Bank, but the third and then Mrs Marsh, his 2nd step mother, used her influence to prevent her husband (Mr Marsh Senior) making his son (as had been contemplated) a member of the Banking Firm, as I have heard she objected to this being done, since his becoming another Partner in the concern, must in some measure have diminished her husband's share of the profits of the business. So Mr Arthur Marsh contented himself, with his ever self abnegation, in working as a client on an allowance. As time went on naturally as the Head Partner's son, and eventually at the latter's demise,

Page 53

was expected, in all respects to take his father's place at the Bank, and having formed himself into an excellent man of business,, it was found inconvenient that is name should not be on the doors of the place of business, and a plate with his name was therefore affixed to one of the office doors, which when the crash came, the law considered, rendered him liable, with all the other partners, for the responsibilities, in a financial point of view, of the Bank and therefore all unsettled money belonging to himself, and he had inherited considerably ( irrespective of anything from his father) went like the other Partners for liquidation of the affairs.  

My father's nature was one of extreme sensibility and highest honour. That of a man who would have been a Bayard in times of Chivalry, and the dire misfortune brought upon his family and himself by the crimes of one unhappy man, and all the consequently painful circumstances of so many kinds, told upon this temperament of brightened steel and deeply honoured and respected as our father was by all who knew him, our


Page 54

Mother used often to say, that beautiful as was his character and nature, as we his children knew it, still, she wished we could have seen him as he was in his earlier youth, with his spirit, as yet, unquenched, and undashed by the unexpected crash in the fortunes of his family, utterly unearned as this blow had been by it. This change in our family's fortunes happened about seven years after our parents marriage, and I, as the eldest of their children, can well remember a great change in all about us, though of course I did not understand the cause or realize its importance. The outward things of this world so little affects a child of that age!

Our fathers marriage arose, as one may almost say, accidentally and it was in this wise. My mother's only brother, Mr Stamford Caldwell, the only son of Mr Caldwell of Linley Wood was at the same College at Cambridge as my father, and though they had previously no personal acquaintance, and lived in a quite different set at the University, still, the dons

Page 55

-of their respective "rooms" happening to be under the same archway, they naturally often met each other, they thus became acquainted and this ended in Mr S. Caldwell's asking my father to come for some shooting at his, Mr Caldwell's home in Staffordshire. On the young men leaving College, they did not see anything more of each other for some time, till one day unexpectedly meeting each other in the streets of London, they stopped, spoke, and so they renewed the old College acquaintance, that Mr Caldwell reminded our father of his old promise to come and see him in Staffordshire which he had not yet fulfilled. It was then getting late in the season, and so the tale has been told to me, our father having no particular engagement at the time, it struck him that he should like to see what life was like in the then remote part of the country, the wilds of North Staffordshire, and then accepted his friend's invitation to Linley Wood!

Our mother has often told us how her brother jokingly said to his sisters, just before our father arrived at Linley Wood "Now girls if one of you can catch Marsh you will have done a good days work."

At Linley Wood in those days lived our Grandfather and Grandmother Caldwell, of simple country habits and manners, but both of them people remarkable in their different ways, as will be seen when we come to the Caldwell part of this narrative further on. With them lived their three surviving daughters and as old Lord Churston told me, who had known them in those days, all distinguished in conversation. Our mother was the second of these daughters and though not so handsome as her two other sisters, was very tall and striking as I have heard from the friends of her youth, very clever and lively. She has told us laughingly that when the sisters had gone to their rooms the night of our fathers arrival, and as girls are want, were discussing the new guest and according

Page 57 

-to their brothers recommendation!! Who of the three sisters Mr Marsh seemed most to have noticed. They all agreed that Emma, the youngest was the one so forward! But this was not really the case and at the end of ten days my father asked the middle one of the sisters to be his wife. Our dear mother Anne.

Our father was, what is called, in face a plain man, though with much charm and distinction of manner and a beautiful lithe and active figure. Our mother has told us that from the very fear of not loving him enough, as it was difficult for any woman to do on so short an acquaintance, and also her horror lest any interested motives such as making, what is called a "good match" should have affected her would only consent to "a half kind of engagement" to "nothing positive" "they were to see how they should like each other." This went on for about a year and a half or more, my mother partly from the above reasons and partly from the constitutional "nervousness" which was the bane

Page 52

-of her life being unable to come to a final decision either one way of the other, at length Mr Marsh felt it better for both their happiness it say that if she felt she could not come to the decision he had hoped for ie that she would now accept him at once, the affair had better be broken off and so it was, but our dear mother then finding how truly she had really loved my father and that she could not take up life again without his companionship, her father wrote to beg Mr Marsh to renew the engagement and as the od stories say, "they were happily married." There are in this village near to Linley Wood, traditions still  kept up of our father in his "courting days" which we have after 1860 heard from old women of the place, who seem to have been impressed by him in 1815 to 1817 and who tell us of our father's light and active figure and the energy of his movements, how one day walking with Mr Caldwell, his future father-in-law they came to a high farm gate through which young Mr Marsh had to

Page 59 

-to pass along, in searching his pockets old Mr Caldwell found he had forgotten the "pass key" "Oh never mind the key Mr Caldwell" said the young man, this is best kind of key" and he cleared the high barrier at a bound, evidently much to the admiration of the old woman, who saw the little scene and was a young girl at the time. They also relate on the beautiful riding horses he brought down for my mother and himself to ride upon together and of the Southern born groom, himself also evidently an object of great village admiration. How riding with my mother he threw a sovereign to some child who opened a gate making an observation of the value of "unexpected happiness." This latter by the way was a trait of our dear father told by our mother. We have seen some of his letters to my mother before their marriage. They all most charming, full of deep feeling, cultivation and wit. Our mother had in later years, burnt may of these letters, which we never saw, saying that she feared if we even read them "We should

Page 60

-love him too much more than herself!" - Dearest Mother! Our parents were so different in their natures that there could be no danger of this on comparison between them. To our minds they were while still with us, and all in our memories, so different, and so much more original and un-commonplace, then 99 our of the 100 one knows and her known beside them! We all loved, almost worshipped our father but there was room for love of them both in their childrens hearts and surely no parents more truly earned the affection, the dear affection of these children and the earnest veneration we bear their  memories.

A short time after the change in our family fortunes, my father gave up his house No.7 Whitehall Place, then a fashionable part of London, and went to live at Kilburn, in 1826, a merely village suburb of the capital. Of course the Knightsbridge family town house now called "Stratheden House" belonging to my Grandfather Marsh was sold, as was also his

Page 61

Hampshire property, and thus no trace was left of the former prosperity of our forebears.

At the time of the break-up my father was nearly 40 years of age, and therefore too old to enter any profession. He was made a Director of the Imperial Gas Company, of which he became before his death, Vice Chairman, and in fact it was said managed the whole affairs of the company which he had brought to a high state of prosperity.

We as children, and in my own first youth can remember, that we all thought ourselves very very poor, but the term "poverty" is very comparative, and some of my now dear sisters in their married lives, and our married nephews and nieces would smile at the thought of considering themselves "very poor" on £900 per annum, which was the lowest income my parents ever had.

About 1836 Mr Wheeler, an old friend of my Grandfather Marsh's and a devoted admirer of my father's mother, died, and left my father a considerable sum of money, several thousand pounds, and before this time our dear mother began her career as an authoress and published her "Old Men's Tales" which had an immense success and created quite a sensation in London. These I know were published anonymously, as my father had an intense objection to his wife being known as an authoress. Indeed he never could quite re- himself to her writing at all, especially works of fiction. "His wife's mind was her own possession." And he did not like others to become acquainted with it as they must be by her books! 

My mothers health however began to improve in a marvelous manner after she began writing again as she had done for her own amusement from childhood till the time of her marriage, and though her nerves were a source of much suffering and discomfort to her to the end of her life, yet all of us who can remember the times before and after she began to write again, can well recall the difference it made in her daily existence by giving, as it were, an outlet to the workings of her brain.

Her first book was published in 1834, and she continued writing every year for many years, having published 18 different books - a History of the French Reformation and various little articles in periodicals. Altogether she has told us that she made £5,000 by her writings, a sum which with her then reputation would



The diary ends here.

(Home)  (Miss Eliza Louisa Marsh-Caldwell)