Skip to main content

Diary and notes of Lady Mary Anne Meek nee Grant (1830-1831 & 1841-1845)

1838 from Naples, very comprehensive

(Note at start of Diary)

Lady Meek Letters. Milbourne Marsh Diary when a boy living with his Aunt [above], going to office. Dec 1838


1830 January,


3rd January 1830

Went to the Music at Cavocato Catatano's, very fair serouded 


7th January 1830

 Went to M.[Balmont's, Falionet's?] grand ball


10th January 1830

 Went to the Music at Catatano's 


17th January 1830

Went to the Music at Catatano's


27th January 1830

David at Mr Townly Parker's, party. Prince Batirs Lady Sykes, Miss Wilbraham, Captain and Mrs Shiffner and several others, 18 in number, dinner at up & served a la Rup, very handsome


31st January 1830

[meant for December]

Very cold. - Mr Close sent his Box for the Fiorentini and an invitation to pass the last  evening of the old year after the performance at the Theatre, pass'd a very pleasant evening & up.




1st February 1830

Left Palas Regnlitte & took up our residence in Palazzo [Esterhazy?] the weather cold but dry. A little fatigued with moving.


25th February 1830

This should be March

Went to Suizuoli & Baid with a large party, the weather beautiful, a delightful day on the whole.


1st August 1830, Sunday - Naples ?

Intensely Hot. 

In the evening Prince Ruffano and General Saluzzo called. 


2nd August 1830, Monday

Went in the evening to St.Carlo, in Prince Ruffano's Box. The Queen had ordered an act of the "Straniera" and the Ballet of "Il.Corsario" to hear the new singer Signora [blank]. She is a fine woman and good actress, extremely graceful but not a finished singer some of her upper tones are harsh, the middle and lower ones sweet. She appears young, it is said is not 18, but I shou'd think her 20. Italian beauty however soon comes to maturity. Mrs Beyon went with us, at the earnest entreaty of Prince Ruffano, he being in attendance on the Queen (he is one of the King's Chamberlains) could only come for a few minutes between the play and ballet, but when her Majesty went out the theatre he returned and say us out, as did General Saluzzo and Mr Fritat.


3rd August 1830, Tuesday

A fine and hot day, but attended by brisk wind. Mr and the Miss Bryans left Naples for Castel-a mare at half past ten in the forenoon attended by Barker and Giacomo. In the Evening Mr, Mr and Miss Close called, asked me to drive on the Strada Nuovo with them, and then accompany them to the Fiorentini. I did so, and was well entertained. The Dey of Algiers landed and at night all his Harem were disembarked closely covered up in thick clothes. They are at the Vittoria, next door to us.


4th August 1830, Wednesday

A very fine but very warm day, went early to bathe in the sea and took a walk in the Villa, was so overcome with sleep I was obliged to lie down before dinner and fell into a profound sleep, in the evening Mrs Arbuthnot proposed to me to drive with her at half past 6, which I agreed to. On my return Mrs and Miss Close called for me to spend the last evening with them, as they go to Ischia tomorrow. Staid till near 12, when Mr J Close Mr Fuitat and [Ch, Chancellor?] Almeida came home with me in Mr Close's carriage, took this opportunity of giving a Piestre to Mr Close's excellent servant Paolo.


5th August 1830, Thursday

Still hot but a little less so than yesterday. The Duchessa came in the morning to make me a visit with Amalia, as did Mrs Arbuthnot to invite me to her party. The Duchessa St. Ritio di Majo proposed taking me to the Fiorentini this evening, which I gladly accepted. The piece was Affieris Oreste, and was very well performed. The young Duce d'Astria sat in Madame la Duchessa's box the greater part of the evening as did young Arillo, who we sat down at St Carlos which was not over when we went by. In the morning had a letter from Caroline. They were all very sick crossing to Castel a Mare, which they find very dull.

Mr Feitat came in the evening and proposed walking with me in the villa, but I was too idle. He sat till half past nine when he went to the Marchessa Misouraja's party, proposes going to Ischia tomorrow.


6th August 1830, Friday

Bathed, wrote a long, or rather three letters to Caroline, one in Italian [a poor performance] one in French and one in English. In the evening went in to Mrs Arbuthnot's and very pleasant party. Among them Mrs and Miss Mason attended by Prince Ruffano. Mrs and Miss Northey to whom Mrs Arbuthnot introduced me. Lady Molesworth and her eldest daughter, Lady Lloyd, and Mr and Miss Serle, her nephew and niece, Count D'Aragon, Ifraco forno the present minister Prince Capera's son, Machesa Misouraga and her daughter, Duchessa St. Pietro di Majo and her daughter, Mr and Mrs Auldjo and Miss McGillervray , Mr Anysford Wyse, Captain Doyne, and half a hundred others who I did not  know and many I did not see as I never went into the Ecart room.


7th August 1830 Sunday

A fine day, the day much cooler. I did not bathe. The Duchessa came to persuade me to accompany her to St Carlos, but I persisted on declining it, however, having been to a public place on a Sunday. I forgot, before going to join Mrs Arbuthnot's party she offered me her carriage, in which I went to enquire after Mr and Mrs W. Gomonde who I just learned lost their poor little baby yesterday. Called also at the Aracelle to enquire for Honourable Mr and Mrs Quin, who have been gone to Rome this fortnight.


9th August 1830

Went on Madame De Majo's terrace to see the Turks, they gave me some snuff scented with oil of roses. Reports of another revolution in France. L'Abee Telvaggi called, and insisted on my having the use of his beautiful and excellent lorgnette which the Miss Bryan's had returned. Mrs Mason called and left cards for all the present inhabitants of Palazzo Majo.


10th August 1830

Called to ask when the Duchessa would return Mrs Mason's visit. She has appointed tomorrow in the evening. Mr Feital called, much pleased with his trip to Ischia from whence he returned yesterday morning. Walked in the [evening?].


11th August 1830

The weather much cooler, bathed having subscribed for 12 baths. A Carline and a half each bath. Mrs Arbuthnot lent me some books. The Duchessa proposed deferring our visit to Mrs Mason, and going tonight instead to the Fiorentini to which I agreed. Staid on her terrace till after sun set to see the Algerians at their devotions.


12th August 1830

Bathed, rather a warm morning, delightful bath. In the evening went on the terrace with Mrs Arbuthnot, her invitation to see the Algerians. They gave us snuff and seemed much delighted at being spoken to by females. She gave them [bons?] to their great satisfaction.


13th August 1830

Fine day, bathed.


14th August 1830

Fine day, but warm. Heard more of the tumult in Paris. Mrs Arbuthnot has promised to let me see the newspapers, if as she expects, she gets them in the evening. Went with the Duchessa and her youngest daughter Marinina to call on Mrs Mason at he Comero[?] who kindly promised to  send my card to  Mrs Northey. Mrs Mason had just returned from visiting the Dey of Algiers, who was uncommonly civil to her. Returned with Madame le Duchessa to her apartments, met there General Saluzzo.


15th August 1830

A warm day, went in the evening to drink tea with Mrs Gomonde, agreeably to her recommendation. Bathed in the morning. Mrs Arbuthnot lent me Gahjnam's Messenger for 28, 29, 30, 31st July and 1 and 2nd August, the contained the particulars of the revolution in Paris. Charles 10th having abdicated. The Duke of Orleans named Lieutenant General of the Kingdom, sad bloodshed, accounted varying to the number killed. Some say 20,000. I trust the numbers are much exaggerated. Sent my long letter to Caroline Bryan by the boatman. Received a letter from Caroline. Visited by Mrs Douglas.


16th August 1830

Fine day, bathed. Having just finished a long letter to Caroline to Mrs Douglas. In the evening drove out with Mrs Arbuthnot, on returning she lent me two more newspapers, 3rd and 4th August, further details of the events in Paris.


17th August 1830

Rather a cloudy day but not quite so warm. In the early part of the morning began to gloom over, still more at one, then loud thunder, lightning and heavy rain, was something shoot into the sea, which they say was a thunderbolt, that another fell at Jiaso Falian and killed four men. I trust it is a mistake. The lightning was very vivid and soon after the air cleared which it did about four o'clock, there were frequent flashes of sheet lightning. About ½ past seven Mr Feitat called, he says he has been many times, but that I have always been out. He told me papers were in Naples of the 5th and 6th, and that the Duke of Orleans has been proclaimed King. Reports are circulated that the poor little Duke de Bordeaux is a supposititious child. This must be calumny. I was in France when he was born, and remember some details very offensive to delicacy of what the poor Duchesse de Berri suffered, even to the risking her life to prove he was bonafide her offspring.


18th August 1830

A very rough sea but I bathed notwithstanding. The waves rose most boisterously, and the water was turbid. I did not stay as long as usual in the bath. The wind continued high till on or near two p.m. Then calmed and the day became fine. Prepared for receiving Mrs Bryan, and consequently moved into my own room when after dinner I found the Duchessa directing the clearing the outer room where a floor has been roughly made which gives light fais. In the evening about half past nine Mrs Bryan with Caroline and Eliza, attended by Barker and Giocomo arrived. Mrs Bryan looking tolerably, the others extremely well. They seemed to like Castel la Mare much better then they did, and say there are some very beautiful walks and rides there.


19th August 1830

A very fine morning with pleasant breeze. I did not bathe having all night been tormented with a touch of the gout in the right great toe, extremely painful. Could not sleep till day light, and when composed was wakened by the firing on account of the King's birthday. The carriage being had for the day, went with Caroline to Mrs Pinson's[?] about straw bonnet, which I think she will  arrange well. Mr Fritat called in the morning, in the evening went with Mrs Bryan and daughters to St Carlo to the Box of [D secondo palge?]where one act of the Temirarinde was performed with the new ballet of  "Il Paria." Prince Ruffano came into the box and sat some time. Mr Fritat almost the whole evening. Prince Ruffano engaged us to go tomorrow night to the Fiorentini in his Box.  The ballet long, but the opening scene particularly beautiful. The sun rising beyond a magnificent grove high hills, and a stupendous temple dedicated to Brania. Major Webster came into our Box and made an invitation for Monday evening.


20th August 1830

A fine day, weather cooler.  Drove in the morning with Eliza to Mrs Pinson's about my bonnet, and saw a white crepe one that suited me, and which she sold me for six ducats. Caroline and Mrs Bryan afterwards made some visits and came home, decided on Mrs Bryan's returning tomorrow to Castel la mare. Eliza and Caroline to join her Tuesday. Went to the Fiorentini, the Prince did not come. Mr Fritat did. Was well entertained but was very sleepy. Called on the Close's in our way to the Fiorentini.


21st August 1830

A fine morning, but rather high wind. Mrs Bryan attended by Barker and Giacomo went to Castel la mare by water. In the evening went on Madame Duchessa's terrace with Eliza and Caroline to see the Turks at their devotions. We went  rather too early, and I became tired, but Caroline went down before me, however she re-ascended,  and while I was  alone, Major Webster called, saying he  came to  express a hope I would be of  their party. It was not my intention to go, but he said so much about it that I agreed. Mr Fritat called just after he was gone.


22nd August 1830

Cloudy in the morning and showery, which came on to very heavy rain, continuing all day, so that there was no corso.

The Turks removed today from the Vittoria.


23rd August 1830

The weather clear and fine. I did not however, bathe nor go out. In the evening went to Major Webster who was so disappointed in a party, the rooms not  well arranged, the floor so dirty as to  spoil even black shoes, the younger Miss Bryan sang however, wonderfully well, but she  makes sad grimaces. Mrs and Miss Mason came in after us. Mrs Mason chatted very pleasantly, the Dey of Algiers has taken an amazing liking to her and sent her some handsome presents, among them a shawl, among other things he asked her if her husband was tired with her, as he had left her to return to England, which business obliged him to do. Met for the first time in Society Lady Mary Deerhurst, I do not know why, but she is not generally visited by Ladies. Her parties are chiefly composed of gentlemen, very poor refreshments, chiefly lemonade. Returned home tired and sleepy. Prince Ruffano engaged us to go to his Box at the Fiorentini tomorrow night to see "Il Diplomatico Creduto."


24th August 1830

Fine day, the late heavy rain has added to the beauty of the villa greatly, it now looks green as in Spring. Had the carriage at five o'clock, went to the library and several other places, besides leaving cards for Mrs Webster. Paid Madame Pinson for the bonnet, and then called on the Duchessa Cosrijaino, who was too ill to receive us, then went to the Fiorentini where we were much amused both with the creduto diplomatico, and Il bajabondo which were well preformed.  Mr Feitat came to us, as did to our great astonishment Il tenento Tergardi [whom we style the Bird catcher] he smiled, bowed, and scarcely spoke three words the whole evening. His long stay in the Box was singular for he only spoke in monosyllables and we did little more, in fact he sat me to sleep.


26th August 1830

A fine day, I was so sleepy that I did not rise to breakfast. At twelve Caroline and Eliza attended by Giocomo who returned Monday left Naples for Castel la Mare. I hope they arrived safely but have not yet heard. After their departure I took a bath which revived me greatly. The sea was beautifully clear. Read all day, in the evening Mrs Arbuthnot came in after her drive, and sat some time. I see I have forgotten yesterday, and therefore will add it so the 26 come before the 25th.


25th August 1830

A fine day, Eliza bathed. I rested and read for I was tired with our constant evening engagements. In the evening left the Chiaja at half past eight to call for Miss Mason to take her to the Falconetts party at the Vomero. Very rough road but an extremely pleasant party. Met Lady Molesworth, Mrs and Miss Northey, Mrs Ramsay, Mrs Bell, Mrs Arbuthnot, Marchesa Misouraja, Princess Teicasse and a great many more. The house is extremely pretty, the situation beautiful commanding a lovely view over Naples, it is part of the Country Palace, the late King gave to his wife La Principessa Gartuna. The road winds beautifully through a shrubbery and passed a marble bridge built by the King. A substantial, or rather solid proof of his love. This lady never had the honour of Queen. The drive home was dark and at one time I feared dangerous, for the horses refused to proceed for some little time, however when the winding of the road allowed the lights to appear they moved on tolerably when, and when other carriages passed trotted on pretty fast but it was  half past two when we reach home.


27th August 1830

A very fine day, bathed. In the evening Mrs Arbuthnot came and  sat some time with me.


28th August 1830

Fine day, but the wind high. Bathed. In the evening Mrs Bell called and I drove with her to the Strada Nuovo. On my return Chav-[Chevalier?] Olmeida and Mr Feitat called.


29th August 1830

A very fine day. Called early by Chiara to see the procession from the Church over which part of our apartments run. There was a fine band, a superb plume of white feathers, and a banner white and gold. Then a number of persons in white surplices. Then boys bearing flowers in various forms. Then the priest and choristers. Then a frame of flowers formed the letter M,  then a large image of  the Virgin, draped in a new white Satin dress with very full skirt, and  full [skews, drawers?] and a blue satin mantle, a very showy necklace of  gold and rubies, and a  circle of gold  flowers round her heard. I went into the Church and saw the image replaced, it was on a heavy gilt stand supported by vassals, the figure itself had a face of wax, very pretty features, and wax hands and arms extended as if blessing the people. I did not bathe.


30th August 1830

Fine day, bathed. Very warm. In the evening Mr, Mrs and Miss Close called and took me to the Strada Nuovo where we got out and walked. Afterwards insisted on my going home with them and supping. Chevalier Almeida and Mr Feitat saw me home.


31st August 1830

We had the boatman calling with a letter from Eliza. Got up and answered it. As soon as I could get at my desk which was in the drawing room and Chiara was out before I rose taking the keys of the drawing room with her. About 12 the Duchessa sent to let me know the Algerians were making a visit, if I wished to see them. Went down and found three, one very inferior looking, the other two more distinguished. They are to return to Algiers at 4 o'clock, went accordingly to appointment to Mrs Close's where I dined. In the evening drove to the Strada Nuovo with them, and then accompanied them to the Fiorentini. The piece, which was well performed, was "Dovere e Natura," it was affecting. Chevalier Almeida and Mr Feitat came into the Box, and sat a long time. Mrs and Miss and Mr J Close came home with me, a most beautiful moonlight night.


1st September 1830

Mrs Bryan and her daughters came home at about nine o'clock. I had been watching for her two hours. 


7th September 1830

Mrs Bryan had a large evening party, but first I should have said, gave a dinner party to 12 besides ourselves, making 16 in all, the dinner was served a la Russe[?] and was very handsome. Cost 12 Piastras, about 2.6 exclusive of fruit, cakes and teas. Party Colonel[?] and Mrs Douglas, Captain and Mrs Stopford, Captain and Mrs Arbuthnot, Prince Ruffano, General  Salezzo, Conte d'Arragon, Chevalier Tonilla,  M de Habbé, Secretary of the Russian Legation and M Feitat, Consul General for Brazil. The dinner went off well, and the evening party was brilliant. We had most of the English, among them Lady Lushington and two daughters, Lady Molesworth and one daughter, Mrs L Mason and daughters, Mr Blair and Mr Lambert Blair, Mr and  Mrs Webster, Miss  B-, among the Italians,  Duke and Duchess St Theodore, Duke and Duchess Gorilliue, Prince Arillino, Prince Campo Franco, Marchess Marrineau and daughter.


8th September 1830

A very unpromising day, which all regretted as it is the day of the annual visit of the Royal family to the Marina of the Ri di Grother attended by a vast number of troops. After much  doubting the troops began to line the [Almaja?] and had assembled to the amount of several thousands but heavy rain coming on, at about three o'clock they were dismissed, and the fete put off to finer weather, which is hoped for  on Sunday. Several friends of Mrs Bryan came, partook of refreshments. In the evening we went to the Duchessa St Theordosa's where there was a numerous company General[?] and Mrs Douglas came and  drank tea with their two daughters. After their departure we went to our gay party at St Theodora's, their Palazzo is very handsome, the stair case particularly so, being balustrades and all of the purest white marble, all the noble Italians were present and many English, among them Mr and Mrs Barker, Captain and Mrs Shiffener[?],  Lady Floyd her sister, nephew and niece, the latter dances remarkably well. Some Russians, some Germans and some French, a very pleasant and brilliant company. 


9th September 1830

Went to the Fiorentini, in Prince Ruffano's Box, it is be the last representation for seventeen nights, on account of the liquefaction of the blood of St Gennaro. Two very good pieces performed, but I was tired having been so late up the two last nights.


10th September 1830

Caroline went with Mrs Mason to Marchessa Misouraja. A fine day.


11th September 1830

Not very promising morning, but I took a walk in the villa. Rain came on however before I got home and the day turned out dreadfully stormy. At night the thunder was tremendously loud, while the lightning was terrific, and the rain fell most violently. Eliza Bryan very ill, Caroline was to have gone with Mrs Mason to Mrs Pulteney's on the bomero, but when she was to have set out the storm was so violent that Mrs Bryan wished her not to go. She therefore remained.


12th September 1830

A fine day, though windy. Mrs Northey and her three daughters came by one o'clock to see the procession, as did Mrs Ramsay, and the Close family. The troops to the number of 20,000 were formed ready for the Royal family by half past two, but owing to an accident happening to one of the carriages, they did not arrive till near five. It was a splendid sight, thought the equipages, 24 in number are fine but noble objects, two state carriages drawn by eight horses and 22 others drawn by six.


26th October 1830

A very fine day, Mrs and Mrs Kyd called for me at a little before seven, and we set out for Casserta. Before we had reached the middle of the Strada Toledo one of the horses became lame. We were therefore compelled to wait till it was changed, surrounded by all the populous which crowd the part of Naples at an early hour, and a curious mixed multitude it was.  The delay made it past seven before we were clear of the city. We turned off from the road to the Campo Marto, and soon entered a beautiful road, which became more lovely as we proceeded. From a high mountain called I believe, St Leucio we had the most romantic and magnificent view I ever saw. We reached the aqueduct between eleven and twelve, the triumph I think of modern art, three tier of arches connect distant mountains, and convey water a great distance. I believe form the circuit they make twenty eight miles. This also supplies the - Medina at Naples.  At the summit of the aqueduct we breakfasted, boiling the pure water in an English Cantine kettle, and as we refreshed ourselves admiring the beautiful valley and surrounding eminences it reminded me, though on a grander scale


[page missing from photo file]


1st November 1830

Went to St Carlos, Mrs Bryan went with us.



Without being cold, Miss Tullop's sent a note to invite all our party to meet Mrs Hopford and Mrs  Ramsay at Tea. Miss B brought it to me, saying Caroline who was not up, desired her to do so. I answered I had no objection to go. She said she should not, on which I wrote to ask Mrs Stopford to take me. Her reply was "with the greatest pleasure." I shall go therefore, and escape and uncomfortable evening for as Mrs Bryan keeps her bed to recover the fatigue of yesterday evening, I should have the brunt of E's haughtiness to suffer. It is ridiculous her manner, if I am in the room lest I should suppose she spoke to me, she says Caroline before speaking, or if Caroline is not there, "Barker" her maid. This is ridiculous. I have a great notion she has invited Mrs O to pass the evening. Time will show.


17th November 1830

I was wrong, the young ladies invited themselves to pass the evening of yesterday with the Oliviera's. My evening was extremely pleasant, the Miss Tulloh's are well bred, well informed, and very kind. The Blairs and Stopfords, Mrs Ramsay, and Mr Adair and his niece, a sweet little girl of fifteen were the party, which I like extremely. In the evening went first to Mrs Ramsay's musical party which was very pleasant. Thence at half past eleven to the Marchesa Misouraia's, which I did not  like as well as Mrs Ramsay's.


25th November 1830

A very rainy day. Went to Divine Service at Mr Burnetts but did not stay the sacrament, as we were to go to Mrs Laiy Mason's in the evening. Mrs and the Miss Bryan's did. Mrs Arbuthnot came home with me. The rain beating most violently at the time. At half past nine in the evening went to Mrs Alleason's, the rain beating most violently, and having done so the whole day. We were the first there, and it was a very thin evening. The stormy weather preventing many. The Duce and Duchessa di and their eldest daughter came in after St Carlos, where they had been to see the new ballet of the Spaniards in Pisa. Spoke a good deal with Prince Ruffano. Madame Misouraca and her daughter were there, as was Princess Irene avilla Imperiali, who I do not admire as much as Caroline Bryan does.


26th November 1830

Still a very rainy day, went to divine service and staid the sacrament. Mrs and Miss Bryans went to Catatano's, the first concert this season, but I declined as I had communicated. Very racing and tempestuous. I stepped into Lord Narrowby's carriage coming away but rectified my mistake, my error, and went home with Mrs Wyndham Lewis.


27th November 1830

Very high wind and rain in the morning, towards mid day the sun shone out, but rain again succeeded and an amazing high wind. In the evening Caroline and I went to Madame di Majo, who we found ill from cold caught at Mrs Mason's Saturday. The wind was still more violent in her Piano than ours, the windows everywhere shaking most terrifically. In the morning Captain Northey called to hear Balduci give Caroline a lesson.


28th November 1830

Bright in the first part of the morning, but clouds and rain succeeded, the wind continuing awfully high, however I got a little walk in the villa.

In the evening the Miss Bryans went with Mrs and Mrs St George to St Carlos. 


29th November 1830

Fine bright day, and not at all cold, walked for some time in Villa, then called on Mrs Kyd and drove with her to the Strada Nuova, from whence Naples looked beautiful. Walked home through the Villa, just in good time to dress for our dinner party, which was very pleasant. It consisted of Mr and Mrs John Graham and Mr Polhill, Prince Ruffano, Comts D'Arragon Salvazzi, M. de Mile and Mr J Anldji and ourselves, 12 in all. In the evening we went to Mrs Ramsay's musical party, taking with us Mr and Mrs Graham and Mr Colhill. It was crowded and pleasant, among the musicians an excellent violin play, Onorio.


30th November 1830

A fine clear and warm day, went at two o'clock with Mrs Bryan and Caroline to the Campo Masti, where the King reviewed or rather inspected his troops. We staid at best two hours without feeling at all cold. It is a beautiful drive. Returned about five. Miss Bryan preferred going with Mr and Mrs St George to walk in the Villa and see Churches &c &c.


31st November 1830

A very fine day, walked in the Villa with Mr Delap, afterwards called on Mrs Stopford and sat a long time with her. Mr and Mrs St George made her a visit while I was there. In the evening went to Lady Drummond's, a pleasant party. Lady Narrowby and the Lady Ryder's there. Captain Shiffener, Mr and Mrs T.  Parker, and Mr and Mrs Kyd, with innumerable Italians, among them Prince and Princess Centola, Triearer. Came home a little before 12.



1st March

Having been much indisposed for the last three days I rose late, the weather was beautiful, more like May than March, had a note from Mrs Halliday proposing my joining their party to the Museum. To my regret could not accept it.


2nd March

Was better, rose to breakfast. The Miss Bryans walked late in the Villa. During their absence Mrs Arbuthnot came in and offered to take any commission for us, to Paris &c. I accepted for a letter to Mrs Lloyd, which I wrote before dinner. The weather beautiful, allthe gay world walking in the Villa. Salvazzi kindly called to enquire for me. Mrs Stopford called, and promised to call again in the evening for Caroline to go to Mrs Ramsay's, all agreeing I was not sufficiently recovered to go out. At half past nine she came for her, at ten Mrs Bryan and I bid good night to each other. Miss Bryan had gone to her rest at eight o'clock, having been fatigued with her two walks, one with her friend Barker, the other with her sister.  Miss B has singular tastes, and an unpleasant temper. Mr Garossolo called and staid about an hour.


3rd March 1831

While rising had a note from Mrs Halliday to say they were going to Pompeii. I hoped I should be well enough to accompany them. [cipbed?], breakfasted in haste, wrapped myself well up, and was ready long before my friends called. The day beautiful, and we drove to Pompeii very briskly, though we had but a pair of horses. Our part Mr and Mrs Halliday, Mr Arthur Glenny and myself, all fond of antiquities, were in the best disposition for viewing so interesting a recollection and deport  of ages long past.  As usual, we entered by the street of the Tombs, which forms a suburb to the city, and there Mr Halliday remarked how general it was with the ancients to make the approaches to their cities through cemeteries. The same practice prevails with the Turks. He says the approach to Constantinople is through a beautiful vale of graves, ornamented superbly and shaded by lofty Cypresses. Having once before visited this destroyed and preserved town, we did not long linger in the shops and inferior quarters, but passed on to the houses of  Sallust, that of Castor and Pollux, and soon to the very lately made excavations, only three days since past, of a fine house have been laid open. On one of the floors of which a beautiful pavement of mosaic has not long been discovered, but alas raised, and it was covered by its frame ready for transportation to a museum, it represented fish. One fine piece we however were fortunate to gain sight of before the workmen had begun to undermine in order to remove it, represents Bacchus seated on a Tiger and holding a beautifully formed cup to his mouth, his head bound with ivy, the whole is beautifully colored, and the figures tiger's head is particularly spirited. The last uncovered houses of course of  more  vivid appearance, but one house is beautifully ornamented outside by a zigzag /\/\/\/\ something in this style in red, very bright, and amber stripes. And the pavement is a pattern purple and green in diamonds. Italians of al ages and all countries seem to delight in adorning the exterior of their houses. Here at Naples many are coloured and at Genoa it is very remarkable among the recently uncovered parts, is a white marble forming to a sort of step, on the front of which is very fine basso relieve.


2nd June 1831, Saturday [now in Florence?]

Rose at ½ past three to be ready to set off as was agreed on last night, for the Baths of Lucca at 4. Our departure however, was delayed till past six, owing to the difficulty of packing the carriage. The box which had been assigned me, and in which most of my best dresses &c were not being able to go into its intended place. It was therefore agreed to send it by the Procaccio, taking out my trinket box. At we were on route but sadly crowded, I sat on the front seat, blocked up with carpet bags &c. We got on however, tolerably well for about two hours when it beginning to rain fast and heavily Mrs and Miss Bryan made room for me between them. The rain continued for till we reached Pistoja where we were to remain two hours far the horses to bais[?] rest. We eat some cold fowl and tongue. Not unwelcome as could eat little at four in the morning. The rain fell in torrents all the time we were at Pistoia but began to clear in about half an hour after we left it, and continued fair till after six when it again poured. We lost a good deal of the fine part of the evening for the horses to get another rest, and continued our route to the Baths in the midst of heavy and drenching rain, going a very slow pace, occasioned as we afterwards learned by the driver in not being sure of his way, it being the first time he had travelled this road, which left the city of Lucca on one side and thus avoided a very troublesome Dogana. We did not reach Casa Georgette till quite dark, and at the ponte Pesiglio[?] a man with a torch went  before  to show the way to the villa where we did not arrive till ten o'clock. Mrs Bryan was sadly fatigued as indeed we all were, and  -- Guiseppi was quite ill.


3rd June 1831, Sunday

Awakened much refreshed though I had a dreadfully hard bed and very coarse sheet. Madame Georgetti having prepared a room below for me, and intending this an second next to Miss Bryan's for Barker, but I like this room, though the furniture cannot well be poorer. The view from the window is enchanting and there is a small closet and another convenience attached to it. The window in the bedroom looks over a large field in which are very beautiful trees and at the side of the field there is a range of mountains going up to the Bajui Caldi with several detached houses and the Duke's Palace on the side. Late at night the fire flies flitting about give the idea of an ambulatory illumination. They fly much above the earth and sometimes are seen darting along the lower branches of the trees. Poor Guiseppe very ill, an abscess at the side of his check or rather throat. He has had what advice can be obtained here, a pupil of Franasca's, but he, the Doctor, is not here himself. Miss Bryan proposed walking in the evening, to which I agreed. We went to the Pone Seraglio, and on our return met Mrs Mullins, who spoke and told me she and her daughter were at Gregorio's, a house I see from my window. We sent the parcel there Mrs Buchanan had required me to take charge of.


4th June 1831, Monday

A cool day, busied in the morning with getting my trunks unpacked and setting myself in my little apartment, the window of which commands a lovely view. In the evening walked down to the Ponte Serraglio, called on Gordons, ordered ink and Schidam[?] Miss Bryan walked with Barker. [did not walk owing to asking  in her ly ?]. I met Mr and Mrs Partridge who spoke, and inquired after Mrs L-Bryan.


5th June 1831, Tuesday

A cool day and some rain. Guiseppe better, the abscess in his cheek having broken he was able to swallow and took a good quantity of chicken broth. In the evening I walked alone to Gordon's,  returned the Ink as Mrs Bryan had bought a bottle yesterday morning and paid Gordon and Pauls for  the other bottle when she went out in the [bodantine?]. Mrs O'Flaherty and Mrs Mullins called on me, but we wee at dinner.


5th June 1831, Wednesday

Miss Bryan walked out with Barker in the morning, so  in the evening I walked alone on the shady side the Linea, to  Cordon's, the Post office, the post not being come in I walked some distance on the Modenna road, a lovely walk. On my return the post had arrived and Cordon taken out the newspapers. Returned home by the public walk, met Major and Mrs O'Flaherty who spoke and mentioned having called  yesterday.


7th June 1831

Guiseppe so much better as to attend at breakfast and dinner.

Called in the morning on Mrs Mullins and Major and Mrs O'Flaherty, found them at home and conversable and pleasant. Got in just before a very heavy shower, which continued for a couple of hours. After dinner Miss Bryan proposed walking which I agreed to. We went up the mountain road to the Bagni Caldi, but were overtaken by the rain when we had nearly reached the highest point, there being no shelter we turned back but were a little wet before we got home though the rain then ceased, and Miss Bryan walked out afterwards with Barker.


 8th June 1831

The weather very poor, cold at night. Rain in the morning, in the evening walked with Miss Bryan to the Post office going over the mountain park, found a letter from Mrs Oakes which gratified her sister greatly. It was dated Venice 1st June.  I think it written under evident depression of spirits. I fear her single life was far the happiest, she mentions most extraordinary dreams respecting her poor father. She and her husband were to proceed to Milan the 2nd, and proposed leaving it the 17th.  We returned by the short road, though much rain had fallen both this day and yesterday. I walked in thin Yard shoes without wetting my feet. The walk to the Bagni Caldi over the side of the mountain is really lovely.


9th June 1831

A very fine day, so warm that Mrs Bryan went out in a Postantini for an hour and felt better, and looked so, for the air. In the evening Miss Bryan and I walked over the little bridge at the end of the village towards the Tabbrica, the walk was beautiful, the moon now nearly as full rose during our progress. I think we went above two miles, then finding the air become almost cold I proposed to return, as the road is extremely solitary, though interesting and romantic to a degree, the river rolling with impetuosity over a bed so rocky though overhung with lofty and very old trees there. One can fancy the mountains lofty and continuous as they are must have been cleft by the force of the torrent. We had the pleasure of a bright moon on our road home which we did not reach till eight o'clock. I was not so much tired as Miss Bryan, who soon returned to bed. I did not go till half past ten and was then prevented sleeping till midnight by the warblings of some sweet nightingales who have nests in the trees my windows look over. We were delighted with their melody during our secluded walk, or rather on our return.


10th June 1831, Sunday

A very warm day, really summer. Read prayers with Mrs and Miss Bryan who in the afternoon went out together. I walked alone to the Pone Seraglio on the mountain side.  Joined Mr and Mrs Partridge and learned from them that our opposite neighbour Mrs Cross was a daughter of Dr Thomas to whom I took a letter of introduction from Mrs Philip Green. Miss Bryan took a long walk with Barker. Late in the evening the two newspapers came.


11th June 1831, Monday

Fine weather and warm. In the morning called on Mrs Cross, and left a note. In the evening walked with Miss Bryan to the Ponte, inquired for letters, there were none. My feet very bad.


12th June 1831, Tuesday

Very clear fine and warm. Received a polite note from Mrs Cross proposing to make me a visit this morning, which I accepted. She and Captain Cross came at a little after one, and made a very pleasant visit. They seem to me a very happy couple, both intelligent, and she especially well informed. Her father and mother are now at Worcester.


13th June 1831, Wednesday

Mrs and Miss Bryan went at 6 o'clock to the Prato Aionta. Returned a little after 2. I walked down to the Ponte, met Mrs Mullins and Mrs Sawer.


14th June 1831, Thursday

A cloudy morning, much rain during the night and some in the early part of the morning, but the weather cleared up and it became warm. I called on Mrs Cross but was not admitted, in the evening walked to the Ponte.


15th June 1831, Friday

A very fine and warm day, called on Mrs Mullins and Mrs O'Flaherty, they are pleasant and received me very kindly.


16th June 1831, Saturday

Violent wind and heavy rain. In the evening I went for a short walk but it was so wet and dirty that I only went on the pavement and up the walk at the side of the house that leads to Gregory's house. In the evening went to call on Mrs Buchanan at the Bagni Caldi, met Mrs [Neath, Heath?] there, who saw me the greatest part of the evening before.


17th June 1831, Sunday

A tolerably fine day in the morning called on Mrs Skelton and on Mrs Heath, who both gave me flowers. In the evening called on the Miss Skeltons to walk. We went to the Ponte Seraglio and past Demidoff's  [spedale?]. Returning by the beautiful mountain path. They were charmed with their walk and I well pleased to have had companions. One of them is really beautiful. Took home a letter from Miss Bryan from Mrs Oakes.


18th June 1831, Monday

A rainy day, with much wind. Did not go out till evening and then it was very damp.  Miss Bryan walked with me to the post office, and then on the Lucca road. A good long walk, met Captain and Mrs Cross in a gig.


19th June 1831, Tuesday

A fine day. Mrs and Miss Skelton called, as did Mrs Mullins and Major and Mrs O'Flaherty. Mrs Bryan received them, but Miss Bryan did not appear. Agreed to call for the young ladies this evening. At six o'clock Miss  Bryan proposed walking, we therefore called for the Miss Skeltons and walked  with them a good way towards the Fabbria, a lovely walk,  but so much rain had fallen two days since that it was rather dirty, and we did not go as  far as when Miss Bryan and I  went together. The moon too did not favor us, nor did the nightingale warble as sweetly.



9th July 1831, Wednesday

Walked to the Post office, found there a letter from Mr Lack, very warm.


11th July 1831, Thursday

Went for the first time to the warm bath, found it very refreshing but the weather very warm.


12th July 1831, Friday

Went to the theatre with Miss Bryan, Captain and Mrs and Miss Lowe, did not stay the whole performance which began late, but walked by a beautiful moon light to the Ponte Serraglio. The fire flies were splendid.


13th July 1831, Saturday

Went to the warm bath.


15th July 1831, Sunday

Went to the bath early and got a cup of coffee before breakfast. Coffee bad.  Day very warm. Read prayers with Mrs and Miss Bryan.


16th July 1831, Monday

The weather very warm, oppressively so. Went to the bath before breakfast, in the evening to the casino for the first time. Went in an open Postantino, with Miss Lowe, Mrs Russell and Miss Bryan. Rather dark going but beautiful returning, the moon shining delightfully, the fire flies were very brilliant, both going and returning.


23rd July 1831, Monday

A fine day, very warm in the morning. Pleasant in the evening. Mrs Bryan and I walked down to the Ponte Seraglio. Miss Bryan want to ride, and from there pummel of the saddle breaking, had a fall from her horse, which a little hurt, but very much alarmed her. The Marquis de Bourbel drove her home while the Marquis very obligingly rode the poney home. Dr McManues having been detained by Miss Lowe, bled Miss Byran and bandaged up her knee.  She seemed very hysterical at first, but at last fell into a refreshing sleep, owing to a composing draft.


24th July 1831, Tuesday

Miss Bryan better, but did not get up. Dr  and Mrs  Manus visited her in the afternoon, and thought her going on very well.


25th July 1831, Wednesday

Miss Bryan better, she got up after dinner.


26th July 1831, Thursday

A fine day, and the heat much moderated. Went in the evening to Mrs Russells party which was very pleasant, and the weather rather cool.


28th July 1831, Saturday

The weather much cooler. Went in the evening with Miss Bryan to the Theatre, as it  was a benefit we took a box. It was for the Prima Albuce Irene Sicci, there was a Tragedy, and a Burtillee with music. It was pretty well the theatre is neat and larger than one should have expected for so small a population. We were caught in a thunder storm and took shelter with many others in Cordon's shop.


29th July 1831, Sunday

The weather still cooler, almost cold in the evening. Read prayers with Mrs  and  Miss Bryan, and in the evening went with Miss Bryan, each in a Postantino to make visits at the Bagni Caldi, found only Mrs Killie and Mrs Buchanan at home. Our visits were of thanks for inquiring after Miss Bryan's fall from her horse.


30th July 1831, Monday

The weather still cool, passed the evening at Captain Lowe's.  Mrs and Miss Bryan were there. Mrs and Miss Cradock, Captain Smith, Captain and Mrs Cross, Mr and Miss Skelton. We staid till near 12.


31st July 1831, Tuesday

The weather still much cooler, went to the Bath before breakfast. In the evening to the Capino. We had no moon so found it rather dark, and from the coolness of the evening took covered Postantinis. The Ball was very pleasant, Mrs and Miss Barlow went at the same time we did, but left before us. We returned with Mrs Russell. Also had the advantage of her lanthorn [lantern?] as well as ours, or we should have found the road dreary.


1st August 1831, Wednesday

The weather a little warmer, but not oppressive. Walked in the evening with Miss Bryan and when  we were a good part of the way home met the [Gattons?] where Miss Bryan chose  to return back and walk with them, which a little tired me.

Mrs Russell took Mrs Bryan in her carriage for a drive.


2nd August 1831. Thursday

The weather warmer. In the evening waked with Miss Bryan to the Bagni Caldi, to return the visit of the Marquis de Bourbel and to enquire for Mrs Lynd who had suffered much inconvenience from a fall down some steps in endeavoring to escape from a carriage drawn by rather unruly mules. Found both at home, and rested some time with them.  On returning were joined by Captain Lowe and Mr Skelton and his daughter, and at some distance from the Villa overtook Mrs Bryan. As soon as we were in sight of the Skelton's Miss Bryan left me to my own solitude and galloped on as if she had not been a walk which she, and before we had reached the Bagni Caldi, had declared too long for her. She sometimes behaves rudely and ever arrogantly towards me. Never, however, when she wants letters or cards written.


3rd August 1831, Friday

A warm day but a good deal of wind. Before dinner I went to call on Mrs Heath with my [tulle,little?] Pelerine to enquire for the person recommended by Mrs Aufrêre, found Mrs Heath had not been well. Mrs Aufrêre came to make her a visit while I was there, as did Mrs McManus. I think Mrs Aufrere ladylike and interesting.


4th August 1831, Saturday

Warm in the morning. Went to the bath. In the middle  of the day thunder, and heavy rain. Went in the evening to the Marquise de Bourbel's Ball, the room very handsomely decorated. It was the great saloon at Casa Zena, Mrs Buchanan having lent it to her friends the Bourbels. Everybody there among them the Duc and Duchesse de Sirecca and Prince and Princess Russoli [Ruspoli?] Duchessa D'Exars, Marquise de Padinas, the beautiful Mrs Bryan [Bayan?] sister to the Countess of Shrewsberry &c. After twelve o'clock rice [huk] and soup were served. We had moonlight to go but not to return.


5th August 1831, Sunday

A fine day. Read prayers with Mrs and Miss Bryan, the latter not very well, but took a drive with Mrs Russell as did I.


6th August 1831, Monday

Fine day. Sent our cards to the Marquis Bourbel. Miss Bryan very unwell, but took a drive with Mrs Russell.


7th August 1831, Tuesday

A fine day but did not go out till evening, when I walked with Mrs Barlow and Captain Lowe to the Ponte and towards the Bagni Caldi. On returning the Marquise de Bourbel came up to me and made a violent complaint against Guiseppe, who he said had affronted him grossly, and abused himself and Madame de Bourbel. He required the dismissal of Guiseppe.  I said I would mention it to Mrs Bryan. Mrs Barlow went home with me. Miss Bryan had such severe spasms as to be obliged to send to Dr McManus who came twice after Mrs Barlow left us.


8th August 1831, Wednesday

Miss Bryan a little better but still ill.

The Marquis de Bourbel sent a letter to Mrs Bryan requiring her to dismiss Giuseppe whom I had endeavored to persuade to make an apology for his conduct to the Marquis which he refused doing. I then went over to Captain Lowe's to ask advice of how to proceed. Mrs Heath was there, and all assured me the man must be dismissed. Every English inhabitant of the Bagni having declared it impossible to tolerate such conduct. M. Lena was sent to, and the Marquise de Bourbel's letter put into his hands. He reasoned with Giuseppe who declared he would not apologise. He was then told he must quite Mrs Bryan's service.


9th August 1831, Thursday

Mr Lowe and Captain Cross came over to witness Giuseppe being paid but Mrs Russell had sent a note advising his not being sent immediately away, lest he should revenge himself in some fatal manner on the Marquis, to whom she volunteered to speak representing the Marquis's anxiety on his account, and also to advise him to request Mrs Bryan to overlook the delinquency, and retain Giuseppe in her service. Meantime he has been paid, had is certificate and signed a receipt for his wages, understanding he is not to go till tomorrow.


10th August 1831, Friday

Giuseppe dismissed, he seemed much affected, still more so when in the afternoon on his going to the Ponte Serraglio on some of his own business tow of the Police mousquitairs arrested him, telling him to send for his baggage, and as he must leave the Lucchese territory in the course of the evening. One of them came to enquire whether he had left everything confided to him right, as plate &c, which he had done. Mr Baron and Mr Plowden came while the Police officer was speaking, and through his interest obtained permission for Giuseppe to come and look into his room and take leave. The poor man was sadly affected. Mrs Bryan had gone out in a Postantino before he came to Casa Georgetti, but she saw him at the Ponte. We all regret this affair, but, as it is said he meant to stab the Marquis de Bourbel it was impossible to even attempt an interference. In the evening went to Mrs Heath's party, very pleasant. Miss Bryan did not go, returned with the Lowes.


11th August 1831, Saturday

The new servant Piccolo Mocchi, came this morning. He is manly and respectable looking. In the evening went to the Ball given by the Duc and Duchessa Lucca at the Theatre which was very handsomely decorated. The Duc and Duchessa received us most politely and affably. A little after eleven the curtain drew up and discovered the stage decorated as an elegant supper room, with champagne &c and every eatable that could be procured. Jus had been previously handed round. We staid later than we had intended because Miss Bryan had promised to dance the coliluon[?]. On going away and making our parting compliments to the Duchessa she was particularly affable, hoped I should not be fatigued and wished me to take more refreshment. I passed a very agreeable evening, though, as usual, my young friend took care of herself, and left me at the supper time or I should have been one of the first at the supper table. Waiting for her I got into such a crowd as scarcely to discern what was served.


12th August 1831, Sunday

A fine but very hot day. Walked up towards the Palace, in a room near which Mr Harvey performed service uncommonly well and gave an eloquent sermon, but it was terribly hot, and the walk back fatiguing from the heat. Mrs Bryan went in a Postantino, Miss Bryan did not  rise till after we had set out for our devotion.


13th August 1831, Monday

Very hot.


14th August 1831, Tuesday

Went to the Capino Ball in a covered Portantino with Miss Bryan. Staid not very late, she was well amused, but did not dance the Cotillion. The Duchessa Lucca was extremely polite, shook hands with us and hoped we were not too much fatigued on Saturday. Signor Cavalier Cesare Cenami saw us to our chairs. He is to ride with Miss B tomorrow, a very hot day.


15th August 1831, Wednesday

A very hot morning, Miss Bryan received a note of invitation for her and myself from Mrs Cradock, which she accepted. I accompanied her, and passed a very pleasant evening, played at speculation and lost two pauls and a half.


16th August 1831, Thurday

A very hot day, kept quiet all day in order to go to the Bagni Caldi to Mrs Kellie's party in the evening, which we did, walking there over the mountain pass, and returning between one and two by the light of a beautiful moon. It was a pleasant party but not crowded as many of those invited not having returned from Lucca where they went for the opera.


17th August 1831, Friday

A fine day but dreadfully hot. Went to Mrs Cradock's party, very pleasant.


18th August 1831, Saturday

Still very hot. In the morning paid some visits with Miss Bryan, Mrs Hamer not visible. Mrs Barlow received us, as did Mrs Cradock. In the evening went to Mrs Russell's party, having first had a drive with her beyond the Ponte Maddelina. Party very pleasant, played at Whist with Mr O'Flaherty, and I having agreed to play that low stake, the gentlemen settled their own stake and we did not inquire it.


19th August 1831, Sunday

Went to Casa Webb, to her divine service performed by Mr Harvey, he gave an excellent discourse and read prayers extremely well. In the evening waked with Miss Bryan, first to call on the Duchessa d'Escars, who received us very politely. She is a well informed, well bred person. Her daughter is  Marquise de Podenas, and she has lately come to the villa to  Casa Zena, but not having sent cards since her removal from her mother's we have not judged it  right to call on her. After our visit walked with Miss Spurries a good way on the Lucca road which being now watered is very pleasant. Mrs Bryan poorly, she did not get up today.


20th August 1831, Monday

Very warm, Miss Bryan went out in Mrs Russell's carriage. I walked alone to the post, met the Skelton returning. Called on my way out on Mrs Skelton. Mrs Bryan not up all day.


21st August 1831, Tuesday

Mrs Bryan a little better, and up to breakfast. Very warm in the middle of the day. Miss Bryan went early to bathe. I was down at breakfast soon after her return. She went to bed soon after breakfast. As I did after dinner and slept an hour when I rose and dressed for a walk. Miss Bryan after having mentioned her purpose of going to the post preferred staying at home, and I was preparing to walk by myself when Mrs Mullins called to ask me to go out with her and Mrs Russell. Offered a seat in her carriage to Mrs Bryan, we both accepted and had a very pleasant drive with Mrs Mullins to the Ponte Diuvolo which we walked over, and through a pretty village beyond it. We came to a garden belonging to Signor Giogio, which we were allowed to walk in and to gather a few flowers. The Oleanders are here beautiful and luxuriant, as is the West India 4 o'clock which bears a fine crimson flower which does not open till 4, and keeps closed all the morning. On my return prepared for the Ball, to which Miss Lowe had requested me to chaperone her and her brother with Miss Bryan. We went in a covered Postantini, and got to the casino about ten. The meeting was crowded, Miss Bryan delighted, she danced a great deal, chiefly with Cenami and we did not leave the casino till more then half past two. I was very sleepy, tired and hungry. Heard from General Lock of the melancholy end of Mrs Lovelace who was burned to death at Pescia, in consequence of her clothes taking fire as she stepped out alone from a low carriage in which she had travelled from Florence with no attendant but an Italian friend, who had left her to find some one to take the horse from the carriage, it being between twelve and one at night and all about the town being asleep. He had left a lantern at the side of the carriage which caught Mrs Lovelace's dress as she stepped out with her back to it. Everything on her was burnt except her shoes and corset. She lingered nine hours before expiring and though it is said her hands were dreadfully burnt had strength and resolution to sign a Will, giving her carriage, horse furniture and personals to her Italian companion, and making Mr Johnstone of Florence her residuary legatee.


22nd August 1831, Wednesday

A fine day, but warm to a degree about noon, though there is much wind, but it is the Sirocco. In the evening walked down to the Post office with Miss Bryan, we were joined there by Mr Harvey. Afterwards by Mr Plowden, then by Cenami, who had been riding with Mrs and Miss Jackson, the latter had a fall from her horse but was not hurt. The fright however, induced her to return home in a Postantini, and Cenami then joined us, and conducted us home, where Mr Baron also came to talk about our going to the Opera, which I imagine Captain Saunders's indisposition will defer. We saw him at his window looking ill. Towards the end of the evening the Duchessa d'Escars sent to know if we would receive, as she was at the villa with her daughter. Mrs Bryan at my request received the visit to the discomposure of Miss Bryan. Neither she, nor Mr Baron paid any attention to the Duchess. I did the best in my power to entertain her, but fear she could not be very well pleased with her visit.


23rd August 1831, Thursday

Fine day, but very warm. Rose early, and was busied with my silk stockings, but down to breakfast long before Miss Bryan While we were at dinner Mrs Mullins and Mrs O'Flaherty called but of course were not admitted. After dinner I lay on the sofa and fell asleep with my book in my hand, but dressed in time to go out with Mrs and Miss Bryan. When we had walked some distance Mrs Barlow came up and she and Miss Bryan walked off together accompanied by Mr Lowe. Mrs Bryan not being able to walk far I lingered with her, sitting on the wall above an hour, when







Expended at Milan

PE of the journey 4.13.6

3rd June france 93.6

Coffee at Mestri1.50

Waiter at Mestri .50

Waiter at Padua .50

Cicrone at Padua .70

Servants at Vicenza1.25

Waiter at Villa Nuovo .50

Servant at Verona .75

Servants at Devenzano.50

5th June at resting place.25

Gonololi to Mestri1.0

Raquino from Venice to Mestri 1.50

Passports from Venice to Milan7.50

Buono Mano to Vetterino3.0

9th June at the Convent delle Gracie.5

10th June for Cuirre for 2 sheets blue paper 5 cents

A skein white silk 8 centimes

12 June paid Miss Bryan towards theatre 5 dimes

13th June, postage to Mrs Austen oranges. 14.

15th June, postage to Mr Lack14.

12th Padi my half of the Hotel bill. 88


11th [tickets?] at the theatre 4


Entrance there1.5

Paid Miss Bryan due from former account 1

Gave at the sculpture gallery.50

Paid at the Statue of Napoleon.50


15th Paid Miss Bryan my half of the following:-

Seeing Palazzo Olealia 3

Villa Bonaparte 4

Talepo at theCurcano 7

Entre 2.26

Fee to the Valerdephae

19.6 half 9.63


16th Paid for a pair gloves 1 ½ 

White ribbon silk 1.75




18th Paid vabs de Place 1.50

Chais .75

Chais in the evening at the Cathedral 5


19th Paid Pierre for supper 9

Gantoufles 1.5


19th Paid my share of the hotel bill 95.50


20th To the waiter at the Testry place. 


Mem of cash expended since Florence 6


13th May Paid at the Dajne for carrying the letter car of - lecture 1.4

At the first sleeping place 4

At Pietra Mala 6

Dd cameriesa 1

At the Caremterio Bolgna 1.4

Valet de-at Bologne 5

Waiter at Bologna

Guides at Terrasa 2

Paid Bill at Bologan 22

Paid at Covigo 1

Padi Miss Bryan at Venice for expenses of journey and Napoleons or 

Fruenes 140

Paid Venice 3 washing bills. 6

Based chaise 


Box for pills


Box for pills 1.25

Theatre 2 Gondola 3.5

There 1.5

Bill art manfrie 2

Palazzo Ducale 2

Churche 4

Guide to Venice 4

Armenian box 2

Mrs Stevens sut 3

To the man tried as I want to gondola .50

To the boy .10

Aria d Barbenjo 2