George Millers (1776 - 1852) and his son in law William Muriel (1794-1876)
George Millers (1776 - 1852), referred to in the diary of Elizabeth Jones , was a minor canon and historian of Ely Cathedral. George was also Vicar of Stanford and Rector of Hardwick. In the late 1840s he inherited Duddon Grove, nr Ulverston. There is a memorial plaque to George Millers in Ely Cathedral.
Catherine (Kate) Meliora Alexander (born about 1794), the adopted daughter of Mr & Mrs Millers, married William Muriel (1794-1876), as confirmed in the diary. William Muriel was a Royal Navy Commander and also MRCS (member of the Royal College of Surgeons). He was born in Ely in Cambridge, the 2nd eldest son of Robert Muriel surgeon. William and Catherine settled in Whickam Market, Suffolk. They had three children Fanny Abeland Muriel (born1831), William George Muriel (born 1832) and Elizabeth Catherine Muriel (born 1833).
William Muriel joined the Royal Navy as an ensign in
1804, and saw action at the battle of Trafalgar. He served on the following
HMS Hero built 1774 served on 1804.
HMS Mermaid built 1782 served on 1812.
HMS Bulwark built 1807 served on 1817.
HMS Royal Sovereign built 1786 served on from 1820 - the Royal Sovereign was a 100-gun first rate ship of the Royal Navy, in 1805 she was the flagship of Admiral Collingwood, and the first ship in action at the Battle of Trafalgar. By 1820 she was part of the Channel fleet.
At the time of 1851 census his occupation was a Surgeon in Whickam Market.
His obituary reads as follows:
Death of a Naval Veteran.
The Late Captain William Muriel, R.N.
Another of our ancient sea heroes has ceased from amongst us, ripe in years, rich in honour, and respected by everyone. We append a brief narrative of some of the most important episodes of his public life, kindly supplied by a friend. William Muriel, third son of the late Mr. Robert Muriel, of Ely, surgeon, was born at Ely on the 7th of May, 1794. At the age of eleven he entered the Royal Navy, as midshipman on board His Majesty's ship, Hero, in the year 1805, a short time before the battle of Trafalgar, at which time a medal was given to him. Two year afterwards he was transferred to His Majesty's ship, Dragon, whence, after two years' active service, he proceeded to the Baltic, on board the ; Bellerophon, and was then commander of the most important boat action of that period, for which he was awarded another medal. On his return from the Baltic, in 1809, he was appointed to the Blossom, and thereafter was transferred to the St. Joseph, and was actively engaged in the war between France and Italy, and was gazetted lieutenant in 1812. Two years afterwards he was successful in an attack upon the Island of Ponza, off the coast of Naples, which he captured. In 1817 he was appointed to the Bulwark guard ship. In the year 1820 he had the distinguished honour of being sent to Dunkirk to bring home to England their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Clarence, afterwards William IV. and Queen Adelaide. The following year he retired on half pay as captain, and devoted himself to the medical profession, in which he obtained considerable distinction as a surgeon. Holding his diploma of Guy's Hospital, he practised for 40 years at Wickham Market, Suffolk, until the death of his wife and children, when he left, and returned to end his days amongst his relations and friends in his native city of Ely. There on Wednesday he died in peaceful resignation, in the 82nd year of his age. Hie memory will long be revered as a notable member of a most estimable family, which, we regret to know, is one by one fading away from amongst us.
The above information supplied by Gareth Abbey.